Thursday, May 13, 2010

Didn't get a chance

We didn't get a chance to have a good bite of my dad's birthday cake which was a Macadamia Butter Cake. By the time we had the cake cutting session, we were way too full with our Japanese dinner. What kind of birthday celebration if without candle blowing and cake cutting right?

We didn’t have the standard servings. Each of us just had a small slice but it was enough to get a good feedback from my family. I was happy to near that it was good. Everyone in my family loved it.

My kids were asking for the cake the very next day and when I told them that gong gong (公公) (grandfather) took it home, I can sense a tad of disappointment.

I wasn't in mood to repeat the same recipe and thus I search for another and chanced upon Table for 2's recipe.

Actually I was captivated by the word "light" and "honey" as we have been having too much sugar intake this week.

My attempt didn't turn out well. The batter was really thick and I had a hard time incorporating the 1/3 egg white into the batter. Was worried that I will deflate it but yet, it was tough to mix in.

After I put into the oven, the cake initially rose beautifully. Done a cake test after the required time of baking and it came out clean.

As I was about to turn it over, I sense something was wrong. I can't put a finger to the problem. Once the cake cooled, as I was cutting it, I saw batter oozing out. Oh gosh, I put it back into the cake tin and quickly dump it back into the oven to further bake for another 20 mins.

By then, I was hoping that my cake will not be dry. Butter these days is expensive and since I am using Golden Churn, my heart aches if I had to throw this cake away.

Luckily I managed to salvage the cake. I just threw a small portion of the cake that was still damn as I didn't want to continue baking it till 100% baked.

It is light as it claimed and the hint of honey was there. In actual fact, I love the smell of the honey.

Overall, despite the small incident, I still think this Light Honey Butter Cakeis a keeper.

Photobucket

What you need:

225gm butter
120gm sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
5 egg yolks
200gm flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
5 egg whites
45gm sugar

Method

Preheat oven at 160C/180C. Greased and lined a 8" round baking tin.

Cream butter, 140gm sugar, vanilla and honey on medium speed for 5 minutes.

Put in egg yolks one by one, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour and baking powder and mix into the batter.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks, add in 45gm sugar gradually and beat until stiff.

Fold egg whites into batter.

Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying the cake.

    Sometimes baking with honey is sort of temperamental.. that's what I find to be. Usally I zap my cake in the microwave when it is not fully done, much faster :)

    Try folding with a whisk rather than a spatula when doing this cake. Makes the folding much easier when the wires help cut through the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cake looks so soft and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake looks so soft and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for trying the cake.

    Sometimes baking with honey is sort of temperamental.. that's what I find to be. Usally I zap my cake in the microwave when it is not fully done, much faster :)

    Try folding with a whisk rather than a spatula when doing this cake. Makes the folding much easier when the wires help cut through the batter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin