Friday, May 07, 2010

Dad's birthday

When I was growing up, dad was hardly home. He was busy bringing the dough home to a stay home wife and three young kids. He got married early. In fact, in this era, he got married real early. He was only in his early twenties.

He lost his dad when he was just into his teens. As he was the eldest, he was tasked be the acting dad as well as to support his mom to bring home the dough.

Thus, he didn't get a chance to go university despite him being a very bright child.

He didn't complain about his life. In fact, he worked really hard. Towards his later years in life when the kids all grown up. He went on to take a long distance degree course.

He started his degree course when he was 50. By 53, he completed his studies with a doctorate! Amazing isn’t it?

He actually didn't need this qualification anymore as his career was already very well established. I guess it is the Maslow's hierarchy model; he was only filling his self actualisation needs.

According to mom, dad wasn’t a hands-on dad. Thus we weren't close in terms of emotion or physical. What I admired him was he is brilliant in everything. From sewing to even dismantling a car and re assembled it back and he is not even a car mechanic! When we moved into Marine Parade, I recalled him building his own kitchen cabinet and even bed! He is a jack of all trade and master of ALL.

Dad is well versed in Chinese as well as English and he got a set of fantastic hand writing. He is in charge of every one’s wedding invitation cards.

We always joke that nothing is impossible for him. He is our handy man in the family. Whenever my kid's toy broke down, it is always "I am sure Gong Gong can fix it".

Anyway, my dad turned 69th today. As he is a die hard Nikon man, I done this for him. Hopefully it will bring a smile.

Happy Birthday Dad.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,

    I love the camera, so cool. I hope I have fingers like yours ....

    Mool

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's who it was for. I showed hubby and he was wowing away. You did a fab job. I know how sometimes just knowing who the intended recipient is, often spurs one on to create the impossible. Belated happy birthday to you dad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake is amazing! esp. the camera! wish u were ard to help me with a OLYMPUS one...(hubby loves it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mool, you can do it too.

    SIG, my dad just added another new Nikon to his collection. We had a good laugh over this "old" model.

    Janice, mmmm Olympus ... if you have the real thing as sample, it will be much easier. try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a really cool nikon gal!!

    I am sure he appreciates it very much.

    h

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith,
    Tks for sharing the heartwarming stories of your mum and dad, you have just reminded me to be more thoughtful towards my parents:)
    I hope your mum's health would improve :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a really cool nikon gal!!

    I am sure he appreciates it very much.

    h

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith,

    I love the camera, so cool. I hope I have fingers like yours ....

    Mool

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin