Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My new life begins

I am going to pull through 9 days of being a "single" mom. Thanks to the volcanic ash, if not, it could have been a good 14 days. Luckily he didn’t get stuck in some airport with no facilities. In fact, he was really lucky, after being on air for 2 hours, the captain turn around the plane and headed straight for Changi Airport. It was the shortest flight he ever made.

This separation will begin my new life. I guess now it is really very common for one's spouse to be absence from home for a week to half a year. Not for a second family but for work.

I have friends whose husbands are not based in Singapore. For some, they get to see their husband over the weekends. For some, it can be months. Either they travel up to visit their spouse or their spouse travels down to be with the family.

I can honestly tell you that I admired their bravery.

For me, and this is my personal view. I can't and never want to do that. No matter how good the perks are. I believe that my kids need their father as much as they need their mother. Life still can be warm with less money but life for me will definitely be terrible with less warm and love.

Though, I am glad that I am not in that position. I still feel the change will be great impact for my kids to handle. After all, every time daddy travels, he always makes sure he spanned it out nicely and will be home before the weekend. Thus my kids are extremely close to their dad.

Anyway, I know my hubby is sandwich in between. I know he wanted to be with his family but yet, this new arrangement have to be bonded for the next three years.

We just have to work round his schedules and lived by the thoughts that time flies. Very soon, we will be "free".

I have been really busy with tons of stuff to do. Thus, I haven't really been blogging.

When JM shared a gorgeous chocolate chip cookie recipe with me the other day, I was so tempted to plunge into baking it but time and situation didn’t allow me.

Since now I have a little time on hand and the cookie jar is empty and I bet my son has been waiting patiently. I went for it. Despite a big hiccup of forgetting the eggs (luckily I realised it before shaping). J, you are right. It is good. Thanks for sharing.

Talking about sharing. Dear folks out there, whatever recipes that I have tested in my kitchen. If I can share, I will. If I can't, I won't. Please respect that.

If your view differs from mine, you are most welcome to go to another blog that can compromise your character.

As I will definitely, not become a disrespectful or an unreliable person to fulfil your needs.

The world is such a small place, and life is really short. Please make it a better place for everyone.


Photobucket

Verdict: It has a soft centre and crisp on the outside. The shape takes on well, my guess it is because of the shortening. If you like it crisper, bake it longer.

Source: Adapted from Olivia’s Old-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies (Macrina Bakery & Café)

What you need:

300g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
440g semi-sweet chocolate chips
113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
95g vegetable shortening, at room temperature
95g castor sugar
120g light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Method

Using hand whisk, mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add chocolate chips and mix well with a spoon. Set aside.

Cream butter, shortening, castor sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and pale in color.

Add 1 egg and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the remaining egg and vanilla essence. Continue mixing until incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl again.

Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the dry ingredients into the dough. After the first batch is fully incorporated, fold in the rest of the dry ingredients and continue folding until all of the flour has been absorbed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. At this point the dough can be formed into cookies or stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. (I didn’t bother with the chilling)

Preheat oven to 180 degree. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop dough out of the bowl (I like to use a medium ice cream scoop) and roll the dough into 2-inch balls. Place 8 balls on each baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between each ball. Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand to about 1 inch thick. Place a sheet of cookies in the refrigerator while baking the other sheet.

Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, on center rack of oven for 15 to 18 minutes or so. The finished cookies will be golden brown around the edges, and still light in the center. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.

The cooled cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Phew! I thought I am losing your blog for life! Tried logging into your blog but was notified that it has been blocked. Man, am I glad that you are back! Many thanks! Really appreciate your recipes and writes. I've tried a couple of them and they were smashing hits within the family. Can't thank you enough. Keep on writing, I'll be your supporter, definitely!

    CL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get too upset Edith. Aaron works like that too, 3 weeks off in the middle of the sea, 3 weeks of holiday with me. Thank god we have no kids because I felt a partner commitment is already a burden, if there is kids, it'll add on to more burden than what we already have now. At least you have the kids to keep you company but when Aaron goes to work, I have no one, no family, just a handful of good friends and my blogs that kept me alive and going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Hub used to travel alot (and will travel alot again if we leave Ferrari) and we've lived apart for months each time we move to a new country and I had to stay behind with the kids till they finish the school year. C'est la vie.

    I'm glad you've decided to open up your blog agin. Edith, don't let unreasonable people bother you, this is your blog, it's very kind of you to share some of your recipes with us and give us the assurance that they have been tried and tested. And when there are no recipes, we feast with the eyes, it's wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gals have been good to me and your encouragements definitely help me to get this blog going.

    Thanks CL for the support and I am really happy that you and family like the tried and tested recipes.

    Quinn, for the first 6 years, I was all alone too. You are right, kids definitely keep me busy and don't feel lonely. But parenting alone can sometime be very taxing with growing up kids.

    BL, that is why I think you gals are very brave. I can't imagine myself doing this alone for few months or a year. Like you said, C'est la vie. I think this will put me into another learning path.

    Thanks for your support BL, I really really appreciate it. Thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Edith

    My Dad left Spore for Aust many years back to work in order to provide a better standard of living for us. I was in P2 and from that time up till S2, we only saw our Dad for 3 weeks per year max.

    Back during those days, phone calls were expensive and we only communicated by monthly cassette recordings.

    I really take my hat to my Mum for caring for 4 kids on her own and the sacrifices my Dad made to provide for us.

    We only live together as a family when we all migrated to Perth shortly I finished S2.

    It's hard for all involved but I know you will pull through.

    Ange

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin