Monday, March 15, 2010

The start of a week

Today begins a week long of school holiday. When hubby told me that he will be travelling again, I sighed. Even though my older one is already in Secondary 1, he is still very much like a baby when it comes to play. Since both my kids are really hyperactive. The noise level will definitely increase when the two are together. Just imagine, from morning to night, I will have to put up with it. Yes, we are all early riser so it means our day is generally longer. My precious moments of peace and quiet in the morning will be delayed for a week. I am planning to keep them away from the TV and computer. Thus I am bringing them outdoor as much as possible. Let's pray that Mother Nature will be assisting me with lots of sunshine on all the mornings, just like today. Photobucket Already in the pipeline is a day out at the beach (already accomplished this morning), extra taekwondo class (preparation for grading test as they took a 3 weeks break around Lunar New Year), cycling, swimming and a picnic with other kids,. Photobucket Lucky for me, this time round, hubby is just making a short trip. At least then he gets to entertain the kids in the evening for the other half of the week. So I need to stock up on snack and dessert for this whole week as my kids are always looking for food when they are restless. I have been reading a book from Harumi's Japanese Cooking. She is supposedly to be the Japanese version of Delia Smith. A recipe that captivated me was Macha Jelly. I don’t think I was successful in creating this. I am not sure whether the texture is supposedly to be firm or soft. Mine didn't set to a firm texture which I preferred. I also done a batch of home made red bean paste as I find those store bought is really tooth aching sweet. Cooking red bean is not as easy as cooking green bean as it takes much longer hours softening the bean but at least I am unable to control the level of sweetness that suits us. Photobucket Despite my jelly not firm enough, I quite like the combination on the whole. It goes really well with the red bean paste and a drizzle of cream. I am sharing this recipe just in case you like me, loves matcha desserts. Do drop me a note whether you had a similar problem as me. Enjoy What you need: (serves 4) 5g gelatine powder (I added 8g instead) 1 1/3 tbsp macha powder (I added in 2 tbsp as I like it stronger) 4 tbsp castor sugar 1/4 cup boiling water 1.5 cup tap water The milk sauce: (I just drizzle some whipping cream) 1/2 cup condensed milk 1/2 cup milk Red azuki bean Method Put 1.5 tbsp water in a bowl and add the gelatine powder and mix well. Cover and microwave for 10 secs till the gelatine fully dissolved. In another bowl, mix the macha and sugar. Add in the hot water little by little to make a paste. Then add in the tap water and mix well. Add the gelatine liquid to the tea and mix it quickly. Pour into mould and chill. To make the milk sauce. Combine condensed milk and milk. Once the jelly has set, serve with milk sauce and azuki bean.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. I love this one. I would try kamten or agar agar powder next time. It's a pain to work with gelatines sometimes especially when the measurements are not in tsp/tbsp. I hate weighing 5g of stuffs, my scale can never do that, I don't know why....

    ReplyDelete
  2. matcha powder? hmm... will try some day. I like konyaku jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Can I mix gelatine and agar agar powder instead of using only agar agar powder? I would appreciate if you could also teach me how to cook the azuki red beans. Tks - Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinn, glad to know that you are settling down after your hols. I have a weighing scale that goes down to 1g so I am fine with that but it is definitely easier to measure by the spoon too.

    MeRy, it was yummy but I prefers it firmer.

    Linda, I love konyaku jelly too but my bottle of citric acid expired and I am wondering whether I should get another bottle. Takes ages to finish one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow must not have the same Harumi book as this recipe is not in mine.

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this one is from the other book she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith,

    Do you mean after adding the tap water to the paste and gelatine liquid we do not boil it again?

    If we do not have microwave, we could use pot to boil right?

    Could you please advise.

    Thank you.

    Mixue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mixue, according to the book, this is the method. We drink our water straight from the tap but if you are afraid, perhaps you can used cool boiled water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith,

    Do you mean after adding the tap water to the paste and gelatine liquid we do not boil it again?

    If we do not have microwave, we could use pot to boil right?

    Could you please advise.

    Thank you.

    Mixue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Can I mix gelatine and agar agar powder instead of using only agar agar powder? I would appreciate if you could also teach me how to cook the azuki red beans. Tks - Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this one. I would try kamten or agar agar powder next time. It's a pain to work with gelatines sometimes especially when the measurements are not in tsp/tbsp. I hate weighing 5g of stuffs, my scale can never do that, I don't know why....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin