Monday, March 08, 2010

Glue stick

Of late the weather is so humid that I am literally sticky all day long, just like a glue stick. It is disgusting.

As I have fairly dry skin, showering too many times is not good for my skin either. After slapping on the lotion, I will feel sticky all over again.

Even though my place is windy but it can't escape the humidity. This is the time whereby I wish I am in a colder country. I was told that this weather will prolong till May.

My goodness, will I last that long? I feel like melting! With such hot weather, I wasn't really motivated to bake, cook or blog.

I reckon since I have nothing to talk about except me being in front of the TV, with my finger busy with the sugar crafting, I just don't want to bore anyone who comes by. Talking about this, I always wonder whether anyone come by to my boring blog as it is so quiet.

Sometime, I feel like my blog is like a "ghost" town and I have to remind myself that I am writing for my family so it doesn't really matter.

Can't blame as I am not an interesting writer, no interesting recipes and my photography is equally unflattering. Enough of the heat, I have been thinking about Squid Ink Pasta a lot.

Since I bought my pasta machine, I haven’t really gotten into making home made pasta. I can’t even recall why I bought it. Anyway, in order not to make that a white elephant, I decided to try my hand at making squid ink pasta.

Sometime back, I was out dinner with I and tried this Black Ink Pasta at a restaurant and was captivated by the beautiful taste.

Making pasta sounded so easier initially. Got my act together to prepare the dough, assembled the machine and I thought like a magic wand, Voila. Unfortunately, I had a bit of struggle. My dough was "sticky" and I didn’t dare to dust too much flour. I couldn’t do it without jamming the roller.

No choice, I started to dust more flour and the rolling got easier. Then I was wondering how I turned the flatted dough into fettuccine? Quickly I refer to the book and realised that I need to attach another part to the roller.

Okay, should be easy right? No, the machine didn’t cut the dough into neat ribbons. It was horrible. Back to the instruction manual and then I realised that my dough is not dry enough for it to cut neat. More dusting and more flattening and finally, I got my fettuccine.

Thanks to my dear prince who came to the rescue, if not, we will be having supper instead of dinner. I am pretty pleased with my first attempt. Next round, I will make sure that I buy enough squid to make that two tablespoons of squid ink so that my pasta will come to a nice deep black.

Photobucket

What you need:

350g plain flour
3 large eggs (room temperature)
a pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp of olive oil

Method

Place the flour and salt in the mixing bowl and create a well in the centre.

Put in the beaten eggs. Slowly draw in the flour to the eggs. Till you get a wet dough.

Start to knead like you do with bread. Till the dough is elastic and smooth.

Cover and let it rest for 20 mins.

Assemble your pasta machine and follow the instruction manual.

Fresh pasta only needs approx 3 mins of cooking time.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. I always drop by, in fact, I follow your blog, it's quiet sometimes when like now, I am busy as I just got back to Adelaide from Malaysia. It's also quiet sometimes when people read recipes that didn't interest them much. Often times, I do leave comment. I hope you are not feeling too cold but always keep in mind that, a blog is like an online diary, you share things with others and write and splurge what you feel like it. It's to please yourself, not others. Be chirpy and happy, hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith
    i am sure your blog is not a ghost town. no comments do not mean that nobody reads what u write...take me for eg, i only leave a comment if i have things to ask you but i visit your blog almost everyday....and your photos are one of the better ones i have seen so far!
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  3. i visit too and look forward to your post (daily if u can keep up) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, when I learnt how to make my pasta, my teacher said to use 1 egg for 100g of flour and the dough wasn't sticky at all. I always manage to roll it out almost without extra flour - but must keep turning the dough over to make sure that it doesn't stick to the board.

    And you must always let the dough dry out a little before trying to cut it. Anything from 20 minutes to 4 hours - it depends on the humidity of your kitchen.

    Great-looking pasta dish, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Quinn. You are right, I do remind myself that this blog is for myself and family.

    But sometime it is nice to hear from others so that I can constantly improve myself and not be stagnant in my development esp as I am a stay home mom and have no exposure to the outside world and the blog is my connection.

    Octopusmum, Thanks for the comfort and support.

    Javapot, thanks!

    Serene, I did the proportion of 1 egg to 100g flour but mine somehow turned out too wet. So I added in another 50g. Could it be the ink of 1 tbsp?

    Thanks for the tip of air dry. I will try about coz it is nice eating fresh pasta.

    If you can, do post a recipe at your blog. Xie Xie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, I did post a recipe when I blogged about learning how to make pasta.

    I think the size of the egg could be a factor plus the humidity of your kitchen. So it's OK, you did right by adjusting the flour to "dry out" your dough.

    The amount of squid ink shouldn't be a problem, it just affects how dark and strong in flavour your pasta is.

    By the way, you have a lovely blog, don't stop sharing your recipes and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear girl, don't think your blog is not a "ghost town!". I do visit it everyday to see if you have posted anything. In fact, I was going to email you to see if you were ok or not as had not seen any update from you for some time. Your pictures are far better than mine anytime! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith,
    I certainly enjoyed your blog... I like the way you relate the day-to-day events, and reading about it makes me feel close to you!

    Also, there's so much I can learn from you... I love all your fantastic bakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, when I learnt how to make my pasta, my teacher said to use 1 egg for 100g of flour and the dough wasn't sticky at all. I always manage to roll it out almost without extra flour - but must keep turning the dough over to make sure that it doesn't stick to the board.

    And you must always let the dough dry out a little before trying to cut it. Anything from 20 minutes to 4 hours - it depends on the humidity of your kitchen.

    Great-looking pasta dish, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin