Monday, February 08, 2010

Light meals?

When I was without a helper, sandwiches work wonder for just my kids and I. This can easily become one of our meals for the day.

Since I have a helper, I started to have worries that if I do that, will she think that I am "abusing" her without providing a decent meal especially in Asian context.

With my prince spending so much time in school and hardly home for lunch. This makes only three people at home for the afternoon meal.

As princess is not really a big eater, I find it out to concoct a meal at times. Since little one like macaroni, I decided to reattempt Macaroni and Cheese which I had failed years ago.

I "married" two recipes together to achieve this result which my princess said was yummy. I couldn't disagree with that.

Photobucket

What you need:

224g macaroni
224g cheddar cheese
100g cream cheese, room temperature
1 small can of sour cream
30g parmesan cheese
2.5 cup milk
1.5 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
50g bread crumbs
40g butter, melted
1 small yellow onion, diced finely

Method:

Cook macaroni till al dente. Drain.

In a bowl, combine the cheeses, cream, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well.

In a separate pot, heat olive oil and brown onions.

Add in macaroni and mixed well.

Put macaroni into a baking pan and mix in the cream mixture till evenly distributed.

Add bread crumbs to the melted butter. Mixed well.

Pour crumbs onto the macaroni, distribute evenly.

Bake for 20 - 25 min at 180 degree C.

************

While killing time during the kids' taekwondo lesson last Friday, we chanced upon a new supermarket in the nearby neighbourhood.

Not that I have things to buy but we really have no other plans than to wait for our kids to finish class.

Each time when our kids attend classes outside of school hours, we will always end up not knowing how to kill those hours.

Hubby was just saying to me that being parents, our lives evolved around the kids. Can this be changed? Perhaps later on in years whereby they are independent enough to take transportation on their own?

I seriously do not know, when the time comes, perhaps I am the one not willing to let go.

Anyway, back to that little supermarket. I was amazed by how such a small place can stocked so many items. I found something interesting too.

Ready made Mee Hoon Kueh! I remembered the last attempt was done by my sister when they came over for meal years ago.

Mee Hoon Kueh is like Asian pasta. It is actually flour dough, cooked in ikan bilis broth, accompanying with an egg, minced pork and vegetable.

When we dined out, I generally go for this as a quick meal. My prince will pinch off all the fried ikan bilis from me.

I love this because it is generally very flavourful. I decided to recreate this dish for our dinner. I didn’t use minced pork as I was too lazy to do it. Instead, I substitute it with sliced pork instead. I also added soya bean to further enhance the flavour of the broth.

This week, I am planning light dinner in preparation for the Lunar New Year which generally is laden with tons of calorie intakes. Enjoy.

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin