Thursday, February 18, 2010

Impromptu

My long time friend C and I were chatting on the phone for hours yesterday.

As I didn't expect my son's soccer training to end early, I wasn't expecting his phone call. When he called and wanted to inform me that his training ended, of course he couldn't because I left my phone in the car as well.

Boy, he was definitely upset as he took a bus home when he failed to contact me despite repeated calls.

Kid always surprises you with their questions don't they? After I hang up the line, son asked me this question. "Mommy, who is more important, Auntie C or me?". For a moment, I was stunned!

Anyway, back to my conversation with C. I told her that I will visit her today as I am going to the supermarket near to her house. After all, since she moved to her new place, I have only visited her three times.

In the past, I was basically camping at her house on a daily basis. C, called soon after and I was getting an obvious disapproval from my dear son (he must be thinking that didn't I talk long enough).

Since C had great success with macaroon making, she suggested that we bake macaroons at her place. Of course, I am delighted because I haven't seen how it is done even though I have tried.

I wanted to be sure what they meant by magna flow. Thus we spent the whole morning producing these babies. Initially it was fun but subsequently we can't wait for all the batters to be used up. Making macaroons definitely test patience.

I didn't do a very good job with the piping as well as filling in the ganache. Towards the end of our little experiment, I was getting restless and instead of round macaroons, we were getting all sorts of shapes.

I simply can't imagine those bakers who bake this for sales. I admire their perseverance. Let's hope I won't get a sore throat as I was nibbling these wonderful Vanilla Bean Macaroons while putting on the chocolate ganache.

We both love the bite size as it is really cute.

Photobucket

I will try to attempt this again when I save enough egg whites.

What you need:

100g egg whites
50g granulated sugar
200g icing sugar
110g extra fine almond powder
2 to 3 Vanilla Bean Pods

Method

Whip egg whites to a soft foam. Gradually add sugar and whip egg white until it is glossy and forms a stiff peak.

Rub vanilla bean seeds into sugar.

Sift icing sugar and almond powder together.

Fold in icing sugar and almond powder mix to stiff meringue (ie beaten egg white and sugar).

To test whether the mixture is ready, pipe a small amount onto baking sheet and see whether the tops flatten on its own. Overwhipped and overfold meringue will cause a peak.

Line cookie tray with silipat or equivalent and parchment paper.

Pipe mixture onto this.

Give the tray a big bang.

Let it rest for approx. 15 to 20 minutes before sticking into oven.

Whilst waiting, heat oven up to 240 ºC .

When ready to bake, bring temperature of oven to 180 ºC and stick in tray.

Another alternative to oven temperature is to start heating at 180 ºC and then lower down to 160 ºC if you do not want your macaroons to be too brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Lovely macaroons! Know something, I've never try them before!! Hope to have a baking session with you one day.

    Gong Hei Fatt Choi to you and Family :))

    Diana/wink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gong Hei Fatt Choi to you too Diana.

    Was in KC's hse on second day of CNY. Perhaps next year we can meet there too.

    Yes, a baking session together wil be fun. You let me know which day you are free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely macaroons! Know something, I've never try them before!! Hope to have a baking session with you one day.

    Gong Hei Fatt Choi to you and Family :))

    Diana/wink

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin