Thursday, February 11, 2010

couldn't resist

I decided to make a quick run to Orchard Road since my kids are all held up with their extra lessons in school. Personally, I dislike going to Orchard Road as it is always full of human traffic but with a mission in mind as I needed to get a coffee plunger for my hubby and partly to make a trip to Taka to buy a box of Bamboo Charcoal Pineapple tart to try as SC told me about a bakery that is selling this when I baked mine.

My last Christmas shopping was done out outside the shopping belt as I couldn't bring myself to brave the crowd. Yesterday, I was like a girl fresh out to the city. I noticed old vendors are now replaced with new vendors. Some stores also changed their layout. I also noticed many new buildings. I guess it must be that long that I haven't stepped into Orchard Road.

After I got what I wanted, I proceed to Taka for the Lunar New Year goodies fair. I was relatively surprised to see no crowd at all. Despite walking round the event hall twice, I couldn't locate the stall that was supposedly to be selling that "black" pineapple tarts.

However, I did sample the Sago Cheese Cookies that SD attempted. I think there were three stalls selling this. Out of the three, I only fancy one but it was expensive.

For a small tiny box, I think they were retailing it at S$15 or S$18. I decided to give it a miss. After a good review by Corner's Cafe based on what he researched.

I decided to try my hand since I have a packet of sago flour at home and also the cheddar cheese. I tried another recipe from the clue that SD gave. I guess, I still could afford some baking time tonight as Hubby is out for a company's dinner.

Kids were good because they got themselves settled in rather quickly today and completed their CA1 revision when they came home. (Mommy is happy now).

My attempt wasn't successful at all, at least in terms of presentation. My piped cookies disappeared under the heat of the hot oven. Perhaps instead of using margarine, I used butter. Despite the flat looking appearence, the cookie didn't taste bad. It has this light, cheesy taste to it but lacks that gritty texture which I tasted.

At least mine didn't have that milky artificial taste of cheese as some of them has when I sampled. I will definitely give this another go but with margarine to see whether it can maintain that pretty swirl looking cookies.

Also will attempt on SD's recipe just to make a comparison.

Photobucket

Next on the list, is a Crumbly cashew cookies 腰果曲奇. I don't think I ever bake cookies with cashew nuts. We usually purchase ours from Vietnam as it is much sweeter and nicer. I never had a chance to use them in bakes because hubby always finishes it up as his TV snack. aarghhh... so this time round, I reserved some in my hiding place.

The dough was really dry. I had to squash it up to firm the ball. I hesitated to add a tablespoon of milk but eventually I refrained as I was worried that it will ruin the texture of the cookies.

Photobucket

I think hubby and my dad will like this as they are very much the "nuts" people. hahaha.

What you need:

140g unsalted butter, softened
145g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
155g unsalted cashews, finely chopped
250g plain flour

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 degree C

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy.

Add in egg yolk and beat until combined.

Add the cashews and sift in the flour.

Stir to form a dough

Shape tbsp dough into balls.

Place on tray and flatten slightly with a fork.

Bake for 8 - 10 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. I hate Orchard Road as well and will only go if I need to get something. And usually that would be early Sunday morning and scramble out of there about 1pm when the crowd starts to build up. I didn't know there was "black" pineapple tarts .. must be something like the charcoal cookies. Anyway it looks as if you have been busy baking as well. Hope you have a great weekend and wishing you Gong Xi Fa Cai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, I left u a msg on SD's blog. But anyway the gritty texture that u are looking for could either be semolina or polenta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice attempt!

    Reading this remind me that i too have some balance sago flour left. Haha, i have yet to find a cookie recipe which uses sago flour!

    have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gong Xi Fa Cai Jo. I hate going Orchard Rd too. I am paranoid with crowds. Thus, if i can avoid, i usually give this place a miss. never tasted charcoal cookies? i heard it was good.

    Tina, couldn't locate the msg you leave on SD's blog leh.

    Cookie, I will need to modify this recipe. It is not close to what I tated but nevertheless, it was still good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin