Friday, January 22, 2010

To share or not to?

Very often, I have no qualms in sharing recipes. I always believe that a good recipe should pass it on unless the person who shared with me prefers to keep it between just the two of us.

Some, even though they were baking and selling it, they were very generous to share with me (I thank them for their trust in me). For some, they actually paid for the class they attended but they were really nice to share the knowledge with me.

Thus I respect their decision as it is only fair to them as well as to the teachers.

My paternal granny can do a mean Poached Chicken (白切鸡), Fried Sweet Dumpling (角仔)during Lunar New Year and Almond Cream (杏仁糊).

My maternal granny was really good with Salted Baked Chicken (盐焗鷄) and Yong Tau Foo (釀豆腐).

At that time, I was still very young and obviously not interested in food. My aunts and mom didn't think of jotting it down or even pick up the skill from them.

A real pity because the recipes died with them. If you have tried my mom's radish cake, her bean paste or her braised mushroom (which all can be found in my blog). You will fell in love with it. Well at least my sister in law and us did. I have yet to master her skill in brewing tasty soup though. Or have you ever been to a party and fell in love with a dish but host not willing to share the recipe?

Well, once we were invited to a friend's home for dinner. His wife prepared an extremely lovely spread of food. She was an awesome cook and dishes were far from being home cooked type. In fact, it is like dishes that you would have pick from a high end restaurant. Though she is a Peranakan, she didn't choose that cuisine for that night. It was more Chinese style, perhaps there were kids and thus dishes were non spicy.

We enjoyed the dinner very much. Dessert was a light non baked cheesecake. I was over the moon because it was light and refreshing. I hinted very much that I would love to try this at home but the hostess seems to evade my intention.

Ever since then, I have been looking around for such recipe till G came along. I just couldn't hold back not testing it out.

As I was thinking of baking a cheese cake, I have the cream cheese, cream and biscuits on hand. Wait no further!

Light Cheesecake here I come. Thanks G for sharing, this dessert is superb.

(Note: let me check with G whether it is alright to publish this in my blog).

Photobucket

What you need:

120g digestives/dry biscuits
70g melted butter
300g cream cheese
75g castor sugar
50ml lemon juice
50ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp lemon zest
125ml whipping cream
3tsp gelatine powder
125ml boiling water.

Method

Make biscuit base as per usual in 18cm round spring form pan lined with parchment.

Dissolve gelatine in boiling water, cool then add juices and zest.

Whisk cream to light and fluffy.

In another bowl, beat cream cheese. Add sugar and continue to beat until light.

Stir in gelatine mixture and fold in whipped cream.

Carefully pour mixture into pan.

Chill 7 hours or overnight.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Yeah sometimes it's hard. Well, I think your friend shouldn't have even shared the recipe with you if she got it from a paid cooking course. This is only fair to both her and teacher an everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheesecake looks nice. Light or not I don't know until you share it! But I've always prefer baked cheesecake because non-baked ones often are too creamy and bloats me easily. But if you say this is like, I trust it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Edith, I always appreciate your generosity in sharing your recipes. Though I do not have the time to try all of them, reading them alone is a great knowledge for me. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women are sensitive species, at least to me. I've also asked some for recipes and like you, the question was evaded. At times like these, we have to depend on ourselves to find out the recipe the long/hard way.

    Of course, I'll still ask for there is still a 50/50% chance, no harm asking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinn, G gave me permission to post the recipe though she can't remember her source.

    Chicchicbaby, recipes are not mine hehehe.. but I thank those who shared and allow me the opportunity to try it out.

    I totally agree with you, sometime it is not necessary to try out but widening our knowledge which is priceless.

    BH, yes women definitely are a sensitive species. That is why the book on Man are from Mars and Woman from Venus is so true.

    and I love your spirit on this 50% theory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too regret not getting a few recipes from my late grandparents, aunt etc.

    But I always share my recipes though they may not be fabulous. You take from others, you have to give back.

    I have tasted some great bakes thanks to your blog and that's sharing in a very nice way.

    By the way the cheesecake and bananacakes look really great, I will have to try them soon! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, i have the gelatine sheet not powder. do you know how much gelatine sheet i need to dissolved to substitute for the gelatine powder you use in this recipe? thanks, rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BL, it is so sad that those recipes died with them right? Haiz.

    Rachel, as far as I know, 7gm gelatine powder = 4 leaves of gelatine sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi, i have the gelatine sheet not powder. do you know how much gelatine sheet i need to dissolved to substitute for the gelatine powder you use in this recipe? thanks, rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too regret not getting a few recipes from my late grandparents, aunt etc.

    But I always share my recipes though they may not be fabulous. You take from others, you have to give back.

    I have tasted some great bakes thanks to your blog and that's sharing in a very nice way.

    By the way the cheesecake and bananacakes look really great, I will have to try them soon! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin