Monday, January 25, 2010

First twos ... threes?

I didn't want to make an extra trip down to a nearby baking supplies shop to get the pea flour and had ask hubby to pick it up after his gym and on his way to work.

After waiting till 9ish, I think he must have forgotten about it. So I decided to start on the last two items instead. Crackle cookies and Malted milk and oat cookies.

When browsing cookie recipe books, Crackle cookies seems to be a must.

I like the look of it and had always wanted to bake some. So here is my chance. This particular recipe sounded good as there is pecan nuts in it.

Boy I love pecan and thanks to JW who gave me a big bag when she was in town not too long ago.

Recipe adapted from Cookies, a fine selection of sweet treats. I love the cover of this book and the pictures are so elegant looking.

Photobucket

Verdict: This was the hardest to make among the lot. The dough melts really fast despite chilling it for 3 hours plus.

You need some teamwork to get this done, well at least for me.

This is a crunchy cookie.

What you need:

60g dark chocolate
125g unsalted butter, softened
370g soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
80ml milk
340g planin flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder (13g)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice
85g chopped pecan
Icing sugar to coat

Method:

Melt chocolate. Set aside to cool for 5 mins.

Blend in the milk.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy.

Add in the eggs one at a time. Beating until combined.

Add in chocolate and milk and stir to combine.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, mixed spice and a pinch of salt into the butter mixture and mix well.

Stir in the pecans.

Chill for 3 hours at least.

Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Lined baking trays.

Roll tbsp of the mixture into a ball and roll each in the icing sugar to coat.

Place well apart on the trays.

Bake for 20 - 25 mins or lightly browned.

Allow to cool on the trays for a few min and then transfer to cooling rack.

***********

Next on the list from the same book.

Malted milk and oat cookies. Besides the doggie cookies that I have tried, I hardly come by a recipe using malted milk.

I love Horlicks especially Ice Horlicks. Two of my favourite ingredients in it so definitely can't say no to this one. Best part is that I am using up the oats too.

Photobucket

Verdict:

I enjoyed this the most as the horlick taste is good.

This is a chewy cookie

What you need:

125g self raising flour
100g rolled oats
170g castor sugar
40g malted milk powder (I used horlicks)
28g honey
1 tbsp hot water
150g unsalted butter
65g desiccated coconut (I omit this and replaced with 30g of oats)

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line baking pan.

Sift flour and add in the oats, sugar and malted milk powder. Mix well and set aside.

Place honey, hot water and butter in a small saucepan over a low flame and slowly melt the butter.

Pour butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spooon until a soft dough formed.

Shape tbsp of dough into balls, place well apart on the prepared trays and flattend slightly.

Bake for 12 - 15min or till golden brown. Allow to cool on tray and transfer to cooling rack.

*************

Despite me baking 1 3/4 jars of cookies not too long ago, my little prince practically eaten them all up by himself.

Now there are none left, so it is time to bake more. I think this is the best way to get him to eat oats, put them into cookies!

What about Apricot Oaties this time round?

Photobucket

Verdict:
It has a very strong sesame base. If you like sesame just like my hubby, you will enjoy this one. If you like it with more crunch, bake it longer.

What you need:

125g unsalted butter, softened
230g castor sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
115g sesame seeds
280g chopped dried apricots
125g rolled oats
155g plain flour

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree C.

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

Add the egg and milk. Beat till smooth.

Stir in 1/2 tsp salt, cinnamon and baking soda.

Add the sesame seeds, apricot and oats.

Sift the flour and fold into the mixture.

Shape tbsp of the dough into balls and place well apart on lined baking trays. Flatten slightly with a fork.

Bake for 15 - 20 mins or golden brown.

Allow to cool on tray and transfer to cooling rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Edith,

    Next time try rolling the crackles in a coating of granulated sugar first, then only rolled them in icing sugar. You'll realize they turn out more white and distinct. A lot more obvious pattern and a lot more prettier. I hope this tip is not too late!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so fast. Already started baking so many CNY cookies. The crackle cookies look unique and thanks for sharing the recipe. I love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... it's me again. Not sure if you still remember me but I've once asked you about baking classes in Singapore =) Thanks for recommending Phoon Huat to me! I'd like to ask do you know of any good places to learn the Chinese New Year layer cake? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Piglet, long time no see. I saw that you have set up a blog. I am trying to find time to attend some clases this year. give me your email address to small_cookie66@yahoo.com.sg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinn, thanks for the tip!

    Wen, try it if you like crunchy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi... it's me again. Not sure if you still remember me but I've once asked you about baking classes in Singapore =) Thanks for recommending Phoon Huat to me! I'd like to ask do you know of any good places to learn the Chinese New Year layer cake? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin