Tuesday, January 05, 2010

First get together

SP is in town. She left Singapore right after her A level and has since settled down in the States. We managed to reconnect back last year and in Nov, she buzzed me to inform me that she will be home for a short visit.

I am so eager to meet her. It is really good to talk about old times and what had happened in our lives. I marvel SP's sheer determination to put herself through university.

How brave and strong she was just to attain her dream and I am amazed by this lady's capabilities to raise her kids, study and work at the same time.

It is definitely not an easy task as there isn't helper like what we are having in Singapore. We are definitely much luckier in this aspect.

It was good too that ML could join us for an afternoon of tea. It is always fun to have her around. Just adores her bubbly personality and she is always entertaining us with her jokes and stories.

This time round, I prepared two cakes. Both recipes are taken from Ms Keiko Ishida, Okashi.

I am happy with the results too and I actually had a good A pass from SP's Italian friend, M who is very much into food.

First was the Earl Grey Tea Cake. I always wanted to bake something using Earl Grey. I love Matcha so I was keen to find out whether I will love it too.

Photobucket

The steps were pretty easy to follow. Next round, I will go really generous with the syrup drizzle as initially I was concern about the sweetness if I pour the whole amount but I was wrong. It will be perfect if I pour all into the cakes.

Next is a Chocolate cake. I haven't really been baking chocolate cake of late.

I find this method refreshing as it is different from the usual American or European recipes. I did a blunder as I nearly forgotten to add in the flour.

Luckily everything turned out well and not wasted.

Photobucket

This cake is chocolaty, soft and has this melt in the mouth texture. This is a true hot favourite.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly with these two ladies as well as the gentleman. Definitely a good start off for 2010.

I hope to be able to see SP again in August. Have a safe trip home my friend.

Note: Okay I found out that I can't replicate all the recipes in one book but I am fine if to showcase a small portion of it. So I am choosing Earl Grey Tea Cake as I had tremendous request for it.

Source: Okashi by Keiko Ishida

What you need:

150g cake flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
100g sugar syrup (50g sugar to 100g water)
2 tbsp lemon juice
150g softened butter unsalted
150g icing sugar
15g glucose
3 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
5g earl grey tea dust (from tea bags)
15g ground almond
1 lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh milk

Method

Preheat oven to 170 degree. Line pan.

Sift flour and baking powder twice

Mix syrup with lemon juice. Set aside

Beat butter, icing sugar and glucose together till light and fluffy.

Add in egg slowly and beat well.

Add salt, tea dust, ground almonds and lemon zest and milk. Mix well.

Add flour mixture and fold thru completely.

Pour batter into pan and make a lengthwise dent in the middle with a spatula.

Bake for about 50 mins. Check for doneness.

Remove from pan and peel away parchment.

Place cake on rack and brush with sugar and lemon syrup while still warm.

Leave to cool completely.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,

    Will you be sharing these 2 cakes receipes in your blog?

    Regards,
    Mixue

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. this is wonderful.. love the cakes and I bet they completed your meeting with your friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted by your post to give Keiko's chocolate cake recipe a try. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... These two cake look great!!!! Will you be sharing the chocolate cake recipe? Cos it really good soft, moist and great! My boy will love it :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mixue, I am not sure whether I can post the recipes here but give me your email and I will sent it to you. Which one you are intersted?

    Tracie, Happy New Year. Yes they were lovely and I had great afternoon.

    Wen, Go for it. My family likes it too.

    Ellena, I will email it to you trm. If I forget, remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wahhh....i like both cakes leh...Yum Yum...

    Your friends so lucky to taste them

    ReplyDelete
  7. JusBee, I kept getting mail failure based on the email you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith, Happy New Year and hope you had a good one too! Great start by posting 2 cake recipes and nothing like a simple tea cake for tea that is. Haha ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith

    do u happen to have any other recipes that make use of glucose syrup? I bought the one from Phoon Huat and now, don't know what to do with it...

    thks
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Like your blog very much and thanks for sharing.
    About this tea cake, may I know if the 5g earl grey tea dust means, I cut open the tea bag and put in the tea?
    What do you think I can substitute the glucose with? Or omit it?

    Thanks lots.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. om, I don't any recipes as yet that uses glucose other than this.

    Lee, yah, removed tea from tea bag. Glucose actually makes the cake moist. I have yet to attempt this omitting this ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow.. this is wonderful.. love the cakes and I bet they completed your meeting with your friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin