Sunday, December 27, 2009

A shoulder to cry on

4 years ago, I was a helpless lady who is always crying. I was so stressed out by my son's behaviour but do not know how to handle the situation.

Phone calls from school were like a weekly affair. Can you imagine how paranoid I was when the phone rung.

I will normally break down once I sent my daughter to school and dread the moments that I have to pick up my son from school. Though I love my son very much but the thought of facing him was daunting. Why, because I don't know how to handle him.

S's son, J was in the same class as my daughter. So very often, when S saw me crying, she will come and comfort me. She is always giving me a listening ear and a shoulder for me to cry on. Our friendship formed.

In fact, it was S's friend who is a vice principal recommended that I seek help from the school and medical bodies. Thus, my son was diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder). Something that I didn't even know exists.

From there onwards, everything just falls into places. We (the teachers, parents and friends) learnt to manage our expectation. Our home become much more harmonious and we were happier being together.

I have to thank S. Without her guiding hands, I believe I am still lost and not able to be a better mom.

Though our kids had moved on to different school and haven't seen each other for a year but we were always a phone call away.

A year passed, S said that no matter what, we need to catch up before the New Year. I totally agree.

Thus tonight, we are having dinner with them and I bring some Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream cheese frosting to share. I always wanted to try this but the thought of red colouring added to it always puts me off.

For this Christmas season, I think it is the perfect excuse to load on the colours. This recipe is so easy and has received many positive reviews.

It is hard not to give this a try and it is delicious too. Thanks S for always being there for me.

Photobucket

Cake recipe adapted from Bake Space.com

What you need

250g cake flour
240g castor sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
22.5g cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
2 tsp white distilled vinegar
2 large eggs
3 tbsp red food colouring (I used only 2 but you may add more for darker red)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Mix milk with vinegar and let it sit for 10 mins till curdling occur.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tray.

Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.

Whisk milk mixture, oil, eggs, colouring and vanilla extract.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients with the paddle until just combined.

Divide batter evenly into the tins. About 3/4 filled.

Bake for 10 - 12 mins or until cooked.

Cream cheese frosting

What you need:


284g cream cheese, room temperature
50g butter, soften
1 tsp vanilla
175g icing sugar, sifted

Method

Whip all the ingredients till it is smooth and fluffy.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. they look absolutely beautiful, I'm sure your friend would love it too. Hope you had a great time catching up with her :)
    Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... this prefect for the Christmas season.... I am sure your friend and her family will love them too...... Indeed a True friend that lends a listen ear and shoulder to cry on is nothing that can be compared with. I am sure this friendship of yours will be forever lasting..... :)

    Wish you a Happy Coming New Year in 2010..... Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin