Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mom rang

Perhaps it is bad of me but I don't visit my parents on a weekly basis. As hubby is always travelling, I really treasure the time (weekends) he spent with the family.

I have extremely understanding parents. When my mom doesn't hear from me, she knows that I am extremely busy either with my classes, my orders or my family. She will generally call me to ask about my well being and the family.

Today is Dōngzhì Festival or Winter Solstice Festival (冬至), mom usually will cook and have us over for dinner. With her ailing health, we told her not to bother anymore. After all, in a few days' time, we will have a Christmas celebration at my place.

Thus this morning, she called to remind me and requested me to get a packet of Tangyuan (湯圓) and feed the kids. Dōngzhì is like Thanksgiving for the Chinese, a time for gathering family members. Eating tang yuan symbolize reunion.

I used to like Tangyuan (Glutinous Rice balls) and my favourite is sesame. My fridge was never short of it. I guess I had just too much of it that I am sick of it now.

For my kids' sake, I decided to make some.

Getting them involved is another way of making them understand the root of being a Chinese. As usual, the kids get to pick two colours each and mommy sticks to the traditional white. Don't they look like play dough?

Photobucket

Not too long ago, PW came by and gave me a pack of gula melaka. This definitely comes in handy. Though I don't like coconut but this one is definitely an exception.

Photobucket

We managed to complete the whole task with one story telling. Happy Dong Zhi everyone. Very soon it will be Lunar New Year.

Photobucket

What you need:

200g Glutinous Rice Flour
1 tbsp sugar
180g water (pour till slowly, once flour comes together as dough, stop)
Colouring of your choice.

Filling

Gula Melaka

Syrup soup

400g water
60g brown sugar (increase if you like it sweeter)
3 pandan leaves
3 slices of ginger

Method for dumpling

Mix glutinous rice flour, sugar and slowly pour the water. Stop once the flour comes together as dough.

At this stage, you can divide the dough, colour and blend them into the dough.

Divide dough into 10g each.

Roll into ball and flatten.

Put a piece of gula Melaka in the centre and fold. Roll into a ball. Set a side.

Bring a boil of water to a brisk boil.

Drop balls into the water. Once it starts to float, remove with a ladle.

Serve with the syrup soup.

Method for Syrup Soup

Put all ingredients into a pot and brings to boil.

Let it simmer for 5 – 10 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Happy Dong Zhi to you and your family Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's very traditional to have gula melaka in it and it definitely makes the plain tang yuan tastier! Hope you have a happy dong zhi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith,
    Happy Dong Zhi and may I also take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have missed this...Used to roll them with my mom, that's such a long time ago...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin