Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Have I told you lately

... that I love you. Recently, during a conversation between hubby and me, he mentioned that 10 years seems to be THE number for him.

He worked on his first job for 10 years, we took our first loan from the bank for 10 years (though we repay it in half the time), we stayed in our first private home for 10 years. His little venture is also hitting its 10 years mark.

Then he followed cheekily by saying that "well at least his wife is more than 10 years". LOLz.

I wouldn't say that my marriage is a perfect one. If I tell you this, I am actually lying. We had our ups and downs. We had our little cold wars. We had our differences but I am happy to say that at least, we trashed it out and made up.

I had very fiery temper when young but somehow over the years, he is able to "tame me" down. He accepted my flaws and most of my demands.

When I decided to become a stay home mom 7 years ago, he was extremely supportive. When I do away with a helper and run the household for 5 years alone, he is always there with a helping hand.

When I decided to take up baking as hobby, he was supportive to "sponsor" me with many of my toys. He even gave me a dream kitchen with enough space to bake up a storm.

Usually for his birthday, it is a low key event as I am generally wasted after the Christmas. For this year, I decided to make it special as he never had a birthday party before and his years' of effort will be marking its 10th year in 3 days' time. I took the opportunity to give him a surprise birthday party.

Prior to that, I wasn't sure I had the capacities to pull it through with my health condition. After getting the assurance from my kids that they will pitch in to help. I went ahead. I quickly contacted hubby's colleague R to ordinate it with the invitation and our little “secret”.

Thanks guys for making the time to come and join us on this very special occasion and many thanks for those lovely presents. It indeed makes hubby happy.

I wanted to make Chicken Curry as hubby likes it. I went on to search for a the recipe. You might have read in my much earlier post during my early blogging days and knew that I have "lost" our favourite Chicken Curry recipe due to the man who sells the rempah has since closed shop.

Thus I wanted to find one that enables me to make the curry from scratch. It was hard or perhaps I am a impatient one that finds it extremely tiring to surf on the net. All ends up with either store bought rempah (which differs from vendor to vendor) or it wasn't what I think it should be.

Based on my gut instinct and with a basic recipe, I recreated one. I am glad that it was pretty close to what we like.

Photobucket

Thanks dear for being my hubby and hopefully our relationship will have many more 10 years to go.

Happy Birthday.

P/S: Sorry no pictures as I was too late to take out my camera before the guests arrived.

What you need:

2kg Chicken, cut into pieces

A.

Pound to paste


10 cloves garlic
1 thumb size ginger
1/4 thumb sized turmeric
2 tbsp curry powder mix with 4 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
500g coconut milk (divide into two portions)

B.
Pound to paste


3/4 tsp cumin powder
8 cashew nuts
8 almonds
115ml oil

Grind together

285g shallots
15 dried chillies
3cm belachan

1 stalk curry leaves

Method

Season chicken with A and salt. Set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.

Mix 250g coconut milk with 3/4 cup of water.

Add to B.

Heat oil and fry the shallots, chilli paste, belachan and curry leaves till fragrant.

Add in chicken, and coat well.

Reduce heat and cook for 1/2 hour with lid on.

Add in coconut/water mixture and bring to boil.

Simmer for 20 mins till chicken is tender.

Add in the other half coconut milk (thick) and bring it back to a boil.

Serve with either bread or rice.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Its very sweet of you. Hope your hubby had a great nite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E, that was very sweet what you did for your Hub.

    For 2010, Bonne Année Bonne Santé!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin