Friday, November 06, 2009

I like it black

I bought a piece of radish thinking that I will prepare my mom's radish cake as I missed it. Then I totally forgotten about it and it was hidden in the deepest part of the vegetable compartment.

Well it is pretty usual for my helper to just ignore it and when it is rotten, she will just dispose of it. She will never make an attempt to remind me as I don't open the fridge daily.

Throwing food seems to be her habit. Sometime it makes me wonder whether she does that at home. Perhaps it is her culture and definitely not my house practise.

Luck was on my side as I did a spot check and found it. Luckily it was still in good condition. Weighing it, I realised that it fall out of the weight required to make my mom's recipe.

As I just went through a book on Penang food. I decided to prepare Fried Radish Cake instead. It was a huge portion and thus I gave half to JY who just pan fried the Radish Cake. JY’s daughter M finds it too peppery.

Perhaps I used Sarawak Pepper and not the usual store bought ready grind pepper.

I liked mine black and with lots of preserved radish (chai poh).

Photobucket

I am glad that it turned out well and nice and received no negative feedback from kids about the peppery heat.

Recipe adapted from Famous Street food of Penang

What you need:

175g radish, peeled and shredded
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
500ml water
175g rice flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground white pepper (if you are using Sarawak pepper, reduce this)

Method

Combine rice flour, tapioca flour and water to form a smooth batter, then season with salt, sugar and pepper. Set aside.

Saute the garlic until fragrant and add in shredded radish and stir fry until radish is soft.

Add batter and keep stirring until mixture is thicken.

Remove from heat and pour mixture into greased tin (23cm).

Steam for 30 min in a preheated steamer.

Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Do not cut while it is warm.

Serve either pan fried or as fried radish cake.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Was reading your post when I saw under "You might also like" something called Black or White...but when I click on it, it says that the page doesn't exist. May I ask why? The cake looks delicious...

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey, sometime back, 300+ of my blog posts were deleted off accidentally. I am still trying to retreive them but it is a very tedious process and some are gone for good.

    The saddest part was that I relied so heavily on my recipe archive that I didn't bother to back up or print a hard copy. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin