Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Biscuits?

PW, CY and I were talking about coming together to bake a cake as we all love to eat and bake. Set the date, and being me the hopelessly forgetful one, I got the date wrong and promised my kids for an outing. Plenty of apologies and then we set another date. This time round, I made sure I bold it in RED with the date and day!

Unfortunately, CY's mom was sick and need to be hospitalised. PW and I decided to go ahead. This morning, I received a sms to say that PW's boyfriend is ill and she is sending him to the doctor. Guess, we have to postpone our little bake a cake session but I was already itching to bake and thus remembered last weekend article. I quickly cut out the recipe.

You see, I am still searching for THE recipe that matches my favourite scones. Okay for some, this is known as biscuits and for some this is called scones. When I was young, I read about such item in story books. Thus when I was backpacking in UK in my mid 20s and chanced about a café that offered scones and clotted cream on the menu, I was determined to try it.

Back then, I wasn't impressed by it at all. In fact, I didn't like it at all. Many years later, when I was in my early 30s, a colleague offered this to me. I had my scepticism at first but I didn’t want to be rude so I took a bite.

Gosh, it was so good that I wish I had more. I soon found out where he bought it from and since then, it was no turning back. I love it to bits.

It has a buttery and yet light feels to it. So far, to those who know about this little shop along Beach Road totally agree with me that it is really good.

My search begins for a recipe that matches my "ideal" scones but to date, I have yet to find one. Thus when I read about Dan Lepard's Rich Scones featured in the Sunday Times, I thought he might have the answer.

Though the scone is light and "tall", it didn't match my expectation. It lacks the buttery flavour despite me using a top grade one. Perhaps 50g is a little too little to achieve the taste.

Next time round, I think I will increase the butter. Not all is wasted though because this recipe does yield that kind of texture that I was looking for.

Verdict: The next day test, it is dry.

Photobucket

I will try to modify this in my next round of adventure.

What you need:

225g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
50g unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 egg
50ml milk, cold
25ml double cream cold
1 egg lightly beaten with a little milk for glazing
a small pinch of salt

Method

Preheat oven to 220˚C

Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.

Add sugar and then rub in the butter until a crumbly texture forms. Set aside.

Beat egg, milk and cream together and mix with the flour mixture.

Knead very lightly to form a dough. DO NOT OVER DO IT.

Place the dough on a floured surface and shape to form a 2 cm thick disk.

Cut it with a round cutter and place it on a lined pan.

Brush with egg wash and bake for 10 – 12 min or until golden brown.

Cool on rack.

Serve with either jam or cream.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. hi...i come across this post of urs and would like to recommend you to 1 recipe from Florence blog
    http://wlteef.blogspot.com/2009/11/buttermilk-scones.html
    i tried it last sun and was happi with the result :)

    cheers, lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lena,

    Florence's recipes are always very reliable. I shall try this out real soon.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin