Saturday, October 17, 2009

Time is running out

I am taking a short break this weekend and before I leave, I need to complete all my toppers for requests that will be coming in after the weekend and also to revise with my little princess on her Final year exam.

Initially I thought I will have plenty of time to do these because after all, I don't have to BABYSIT my son while he studies. Unfortunately, I am not that lucky. My daughter's teacher started returning all worksheets to us. I realised that this little one is desperate in need of help.

I doubt she will be able to make it if I don't revise with her. I have been wondering what her form teacher been doing these past months. My daughter started remedial lesson with her since July and yet I don't see improvement at all. Her response is that my daughter is faring well among the group.

She hasn't a problem with her work but SHE doesn't know why she fared badly in mock tests. Instead, she is now trying hard to push the responsibility back to me. Gauging from little one's this term worksheets.

She is falling way behind and this old teacher is clueless as to how to guide my little girl. Yes old and due for retirement. Now, a teacher with that number of year in the teaching industry hasn't a clue why a child can't perform in test, I am wondering am I expected to know?

Blame it on princess's luck, her Term 1 Chinese teacher was moved to another group to teach the weaker kids. Actually my poor baby was doing very well under her guidance. As she did pretty well for her mid year, she was transferred to another class to a more senior teacher. Bad move, my little one didn't develop under this senior teacher's teaching. In fact, it has been sliding down the drain in turbo speed.

Now, instead of at least excel in one subject, now three subjects are at risk of a Red alert. This system is driving me nuts and I seriously don't want to put her into the bandwagon like many who are flooded with tuitions and enrichments.

Actually to my surprise, the school does have a school counsellor. I wonder in what situation a teacher think that a child needs some emotion support. The thought of a 11 years old just flew out of a block of flat because of exam stress is making me think twice as to whether I should just let her fail and not pressure cook her for this stupid exam.

Enough of my frustration with this AWESOME education system of ours, I need to distract myself with some new recipe. I have some salmon left and had been thinking about Salmon Patties for nearly a week.

With K joining us for dinner tonight, I decided to have a break from my helper’s boring menu.

Photobucket

What you need:

300g salmon, pan fry without oil,
flaked 450g potatoes,
mashed 25g butter
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp chopped dill
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg, beaten

Method

Mix salmon with mashed potatoes.

Add in butter, pepper, salt, lemon juice, egg and dill. Mixed well.

With a lightly flour, shaped into a round flat cake.

Lightly pan fry the patty till golden brown.

********* I have received some enquiries on what dill looks like. Here is a picture to show you all.

Photobucket

I love this herb very much as it is extremely fragrant. As I don't take spring onions, I generally replaced that with this for my fish dishes.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. The patties look delicious. Can I know if it's okie to skip the 1 tbsp of milk? What would you suggest to have in place of it?

    I need to replace the milk because my son is allergic to cow's milk. And I don't think soy milk will do justice to your recipe. Plus, the smell and taste might put my daughter off.

    Thanks in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a modern parent is really a challenging task. I think you have done your best! You have a great blog and the shots are simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is diil?

    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salmon... or I should say I only love YOUR salmon dish... under your len they looks particular delicious!
    oh Edith, seems the Sg educational system drives you crazy! (probably it is the reason why there is zero Singapore kid going to my dd' international school... a place doesn't have a gram of effort in driving the kids to study, urgh!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wen,

    Pudgy Mommy. You can omit the milk with either a bigger egg. The milk and egg is to bind them together.

    Food for tots, thanks for dropping by. I really hope I have tried my best as a mom but I guess we won't be able to tell till they are all grown up right? hahah.

    June, I will post a picture for you to see trm. I just back from a short break.

    Gattina, hahaha.. when I read your comment, I can't help but laugh. I just wonder is it possible to find a school where there is a good balance of being competitive and yet let those kids have a good childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salmon... or I should say I only love YOUR salmon dish... under your len they looks particular delicious!
    oh Edith, seems the Sg educational system drives you crazy! (probably it is the reason why there is zero Singapore kid going to my dd' international school... a place doesn't have a gram of effort in driving the kids to study, urgh!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The patties look delicious. Can I know if it's okie to skip the 1 tbsp of milk? What would you suggest to have in place of it?

    I need to replace the milk because my son is allergic to cow's milk. And I don't think soy milk will do justice to your recipe. Plus, the smell and taste might put my daughter off.

    Thanks in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a modern parent is really a challenging task. I think you have done your best! You have a great blog and the shots are simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can shape them into little croquette balls too to be baked in the oven (:

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/salmon-korokke-croquette-balls-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks June for dropping by.

    Gattina, Singaporean children very poor thing; practically no life. We tried not to join the bandwagon but really no choice.

    Pudgy Mummy, sorry didn't respond to your question. you can add either water or egg.

    Food For Tots, thanks.


    Thanks for the tip Shu Han!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin