Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I did it!

I was into the mood for making bread. So while trying to knead the dough in my mixer, I burnt my Kitchen Aid. Am I furious? Not really because I was expecting it I guess. I always feel that the machine is heating up whenever I try to use it longer than 10 mins. It always doesn't give me a good feel.

Luckily, I have a Kenwood Chef Classic as a back up. If not, I will be a dead duck for this forthcoming weekend order. I doubt the agent can repair that in time or will there be someone that can loan me a mixer too.

Between these two brands, I still prefer my Kenwood. It is not only quieter, it is also more stable. I don't get flour or batter splattering out without the guard when I uses the Kenwood. I can't say that for Kitchen Aid though.

I am more pissed because now I have to find time to send this little machine for repair and hopefully it is repairable if not, I will cry coz it is only 2 years old. As compared to my trusty grey machine which I had it 4 years ago.

Enough said, as I was surfing for the meatball recipe which came from Jamie Oliver's.

I chanced up this Banana and Honey Bread. Well, I needed to use up the banana quickly as it is nearly fit for the bin. Just this week, we had two bunches of bananas and I guess the family had enough of raw bananas for a week.

Photobucket

What you need:

1kg strong bread flour
625ml tepid water (liquidify 5 bananas and top up the rest with water)
10g instant yeast
4 tbsp runny honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 level tablespoon fine sea salt extra flour for dusting

Method

Pour the flour into the mixer with a dough hook.

Add in half the liquid and add in yeast, sugar and salt and mixed together. Continue to knead till the flour become a stodgy, porridgey consistency – then add the remaining water.

Continue to mix until it's stodgy again, then you can be more aggressive, bringing in all the flour, making the mix less sticky. Certain flours need a little more or less water, so feel free to adjust.)

Start to knead until you have a silky and elastic dough (about 10 mins)

Flour the top of your dough. Put it in a bowl, cover with clingfilm, and allow it to prove for about half an hour until doubled in size – ideally in a warm, moist place.

This will improve the flavour and texture of your dough and it's always exciting to know that the old yeast has kicked into action. Second prove.

Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out for 30 seconds by bashing it and squashing it.

Divide the dough into 10 balls.

Then pack these next to each other in a flour-dusted baking tin where they will prove together. **Leave it to prove for a second time for 30 minutes to an hour until it has doubled in size once more.

Before putting in the oven drizzle generously with the rest of the honey so that the top of the bread will caramelize, going nice and golden.

Bake in your preheated oven at 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5 for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool for a little while, but it's best served still warm with lots of butter and a glass of milk for breakfast while you read the paper.

Also fantastic used in bread and butter pudding or simply heated up with a bit of ice cream.

**This is the most important part, as the second prove will give it the air that finally ends up being cooked into your bread, giving you the really light, soft texture that we all love in fresh bread. So remember – don't fiddle with it, just let it do its thing.

Don't slam the door or you'll lose the air that you need. Bake according to the time and temperature given with your chosen recipe. You can tell if it's cooked by tapping its bottom – if it sounds hollow it's done, if it doesn't then pop it back in for a little longer.

Note: I still prefers my 17 hours dough method but I can't deny that it is good while fresh out of the oven. After when it turned cold, it is still soft and has this chewy texture.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. The bread looks beautiful, Edith. But why is it called honey and banana bread when there is no banana in the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anh, there is. Liquid 5 bananas and top the rest with water. Under the 625ml of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread look really nice and yummy. Earlier thinking to buy Kitchen Aid, after see your review, maybe I have to think twice..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin