Thursday, September 17, 2009

Misinterpretation

How often when you read a recipe book and captivated by the beautiful picture? Then you proceed to try out the recipe and it turned out to be a total disappointment?

In the past, I will just follow blindly on the recipe and pray that it will be a nice and good bake. Very often, it is not what it described.

Through the years, I am slowly starting to try to understand the ratio between fats, liquid and dry ingredients.

After all, baking is about science.

I am a slow learner in this aspect. Sometime I can spot whether this recipe works or don't. Sometime I am completely clueless.

Nevertheless, over the years, I have improved a little on this knowledge.

I chanced upon this recipe during one of my regular library trip. The method is really unusual.

I was more attracted by the name of the cake and its method. It promises and light and soft chocolate cake which is what I am looking for.

In the end, it didn't yield a cake that I was expecting. I took longer than the estimated time to bake it. It has a crumbly texture and definitely doesn't look light.

The method is also vague as to how long I should beat the batter. All it state was to beat well. So how well is well?

I took the chance and beat longer to achieve a "thicker" batter. Perhaps I might have gone wrong it this aspect.

If you are looking for an intense tasting chocolate cake, this one is for you. I suggest you use a good quality cocoa powder for this one as it seems cocoa powder is the main star for this recipe.

Anyway, I am going to post this. Should anyone keen to try, do feedback your experience.

After all, this blog is about sharing and learning from each other. Have fun.

Photobucket

Recipe adapted from Chocolate Cakes by John Slattery

What you need:

225g margarine (but I used butter) + extra for greasing
370g self raising flour + extra for the tins
450g castor sugar (I reduced this to 250g)
30g salt (I find this a little too much, so i used a pinch)
140g cocoa powder
4 medium eggs
285ml evaporated milk
285ml warm water

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Greased and lined tins.

Sift together the dry ingredients and rub in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Beat the eggs thoroughly and stir them together with the evaporated milk and warm water.

Combine the egg mixture and dthe dry mixture and beat well. (initially it was very watery, after beating for about 2 min or less, the batter thicken up).

Pour the mixture into the cake tins and bake for about 35 mins or until firm.

Leave in the tins for a few mins before turning it out to cool.

Note: I generally reduced sugar from most cake recipe and it doesn't really alter the texture of the cake.

In this case, I am not sure whether it does. I used 62 - 65g egg.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hi Me being a chocoholic volunteers to be the first to try. Will wait for your recipe.. Cheers Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late update on the recipe. Olivia, if you do try it, please let me know your outcome. The picture looks really good but mine was a flopped. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin