Saturday, June 20, 2009

Catching up on old time

Since our last class 82 reunion, I was pinning for smaller group get together to rekindle our past. Well being one of the organiser, I didn't really have a chance to fully mingle with the girls that night. Thus when CL agreed to my idea, I quickly went about gathering them.

It was really great because with a smaller group, the interaction is much better. As usual, I did my spread of dessert. hehehe.... and they are my guinea pigs.

This is a good opportunity for me to try out a few recipes that I have keen eyeing at.

Couscous cakes. I am always curious about this grain. I know that some serve this as an appetiser dish and some as a staple food. So when I saw this incorporated into cakes, I am even more curious than before. This recipe yields a really soft texture. Personally I love it.

Photobucket

Cheddar Cheese Muffins. I find that preparing muffins is so much easier than cupcakes. It is less temperamental than cakes and it is really easy to whip out as a quick snack. For those who is short of time or don't have a mixer at home, I would say muffin is the best choice. I did this without machine. Easy peasy and it was a hot favourite with the girls.

Photobucket

Mini Chocolate Fudge cakes. I was craving for some chocolate and when I saw this, I just couldn't resist it. Very easy to prepare and taste really good especially when I used really good dark chocolate. Another hot favourite with my family.

Photobucket

By the time my guests arrived, the weather has cooled down. We had such a good afternoon catching up on old times. We laughed so much and it was really good opportunity for sharing session. Thanks ladies for coming by and definitely we have to do this again and again.

Now P, we are waiting for our Happy Hour at P's Bar. hahahahaha

Cheddar Cheese Muffins

What you need:

280g plain flour
155g shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 large egg
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp sesame seeds

Method

Preheat oven to 190˚C. Grease muffin cups.

Stir together the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Whisk together the egg, olive oil and milk until blended.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the milk mixture and stir till evenly incorporated. The batter will be still lumpy.

Spoon the batter into the cups filling it to level with the rim of the cup. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

Bake till golden for approx 20 - - 25 mins.

**********************************

Couscous Cupcakes

What you need:


¼ cup rum or brandy
½ cup olive oil
Finely grated zest and juices of 2 oranges
1 cup couscous
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup dried cranberries

Method

Preheat oven to 170˚C. Greased and flour 12 cup muffin tins or 20 cm spring form cake tin.

Heat rum, orange zest and juice. Place couscous in a bowl and pour over hot liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to steam for 10 mins. Uncover and fluff up couscous with a fork.

Whisk eggs and sugar together until thick and pale. Stir this mixture into couscous along with remaining dry ingredients and cranberries.

Spoon into prepared tins till to the rim and bake for 15 mins or until cakes spring back when touched.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. OOOOOH the chocolate fudge one is killing me it looks so yummy and the cous cous one sounds very interesting...now I am curious too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MeRy for dropping by. Yes it is also good to meet up. I always enjoy that.

    Faery, the chocolate one is good. I love the intense choc not overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm couscous cupcakes is a first for me! So happens that I have a pack given by a friend but am saving this for a tagine which I'm planning to make some time next month. The other cupcakes look gorgeous, esp the choc one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these muffins/cakes look so good. I think my favorite is the first one - it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Edith for your Cheddar Cheese Muffin recipe. Just bake some. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks MeRy for dropping by. Yes it is also good to meet up. I always enjoy that.

    Faery, the chocolate one is good. I love the intense choc not overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOH the chocolate fudge one is killing me it looks so yummy and the cous cous one sounds very interesting...now I am curious too

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these muffins/cakes look so good. I think my favorite is the first one - it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin