Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lots of greens

Very often, I hear that kids don't like their greens and the mommies will have a hard time giving it to them. I am thankful that my kids love their greens and fruits so I don't have to crack my brain to think of tricks to make them have enough of it.

When my first born was still a baby, our GP said to me how your kids behave is how you train them. It is just like a hard disk, it will turn out what program you load in.

Till this date, this advice still sticks to me. I always tell my kids that we are blessed to have food on our table and we must be thankful. Thus, whatever set on the table, my kids will have to eat it.

In my house rule, there isn't such word like "I don't like". There is always the first time. Of course, they do try their act of throwing up or giving you a "kill me if you have to" look. But hey, they don't try they won't know whether they can get away with it.

I might sound cruel but once I make my daughter swallow back what she has vomited out. From then onwards, I got no such nonsense from her. I guess she also know that mommy meant business when she said, eat.

Thus I feel very sad when my friends told me that they have problem giving greens to their kids or the kids' diets do not consist of vegetable. Perhaps it is the mother's protection that resulted in this? I really don't know. Anyway, I saw Jo's Carrot and Raisin Cupcake and I just knew that I have to try it.

It is not only loaded with vegetable and fruits but the spice that I love. Cinnamon! I simply can't say no to this one.

Photobucket

Verdict: Indeed soft and moist.

What you need:

180g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
180g butter
145g brown sugar
4 eggs
150g carrot, grated
100g raisins, soaked in 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Grated lemon rind from 1 lemon

Method:

Prepare muffin pan with paper cups. Preheat oven to 170 degC.

Sift all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder into a mixing bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy on high speed.

Reduce speed and beat in eggs one at a time, making sure it is incorporated before the next addition.

Add in grated carrot, raisins, lemon rind and sifter dry ingredients.

Fold using just a wooden spoon carefully to not overmix the batter.

Fill prepared baking cups with mixture. Fill it up to 85% full as it doesn't raise much. (note to myself: fill above the line on the silicone cups).

Bake in preheat oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and skewer inserted into the centre of cupcake comes out clean.

Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. http://makebakingfun.aceboard.com/
    Do visit, newly open forum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, it looks yummy. How come my cupcakes don't look like that?

    Hey, you know what? I did the same to Sean once when he was a toddler and did the puking thing. I made him eat it. My friends said I was cruel, but he never ever tried it again. And like your kids, he likes his veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christmas Baby, I will check out the forum.

    Eunice, Try this one. It is really easy.

    Ha so I am not the only "cruel" mom. hehehe... Kids are really clever, they know where the soft spots are. I am so glad that Sean loves veggies. I think it is so impt to have fibre in the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky. Liana loved her vegs even as a child, so I didnt have a problem to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith, delicious looking muffins. I do agree that kids need to be "trained". My niece doesn't like certain vegetables and why?? Her mother, my sis, doesn't like them either. So like mother, like daughter. If kids don't have a choice from young, I think they will eat almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Yesterday I visited your blog thrice but it was restricted to invited reader only ( password needed ), which was not required normally. So I didn't log in as I read from the newspaper about hackers in facebook. I'm a bit surprise today as I can enter to your blog straight away, are u aware?

    If invited readers are required next time in your blog, can u make an annoucement beforehand so I will not be such a scarry cat? Hee hee.Tks.

    kium

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi so happy that your blog is opened again. At the beginning of last week i could still view it but at the end of the week it became restricted. Was disappointed but thank you for opening it to public readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, your photo is so pretty and your silicone liners look so cheery and delectable. A big kid like me wants to grab them too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Yesterday I visited your blog thrice but it was restricted to invited reader only ( password needed ), which was not required normally. So I didn't log in as I read from the newspaper about hackers in facebook. I'm a bit surprise today as I can enter to your blog straight away, are u aware?

    If invited readers are required next time in your blog, can u make an annoucement beforehand so I will not be such a scarry cat? Hee hee.Tks.

    kium

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, it looks yummy. How come my cupcakes don't look like that?

    Hey, you know what? I did the same to Sean once when he was a toddler and did the puking thing. I made him eat it. My friends said I was cruel, but he never ever tried it again. And like your kids, he likes his veggies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin