Thursday, May 28, 2009

I am torn

Since the day that my boy gotten back his results, his dad has been giving him so many pep talks but seriously I really don't know how much that little one retained. He once was an accomplisher and suddenly he seems to be on ground level. Perhaps the reality struck and my hubby now realised that doing PSLE is not that easy. Anyway, I have now joined the bandwagon of having tutors now, feeding those blood suckers who charge S$50/hour and a minimum of 2 hours. In the past, tutors make up for no show lessons. Now the parents have to do that if the child is sick. We have to give another day for the replacement. Good money for these people as their terms is COD. Sometime I wonder whether there is a loop hole in this system. I doubt tutors are being taxed! For the future of my kid, I really have no choice. Now my little daughter is coaxing me to give her a tutor. Can you believe it? She thinks it is playground time. Anyway, now that I have a Maths tutor for him, I am still toying with having a Science tutor as well. The saddest part is that he is swimming around borderline pass for all three subjects. Should I be concern or should I give me another chance to proof himself. Boy I am torn. Was getting a little tension so I decided to cook something he likes. My kids love Western food much more than Asian. Having my helper's cooking for the last week or so, I guess it is enough. Despite all the coaching, she still has not made the mark yet. Haiz... I did a Prawn Tempura, Mushroom Tempura as well as Carrot Tempura to go with my bowl of Udon. I couldn’t believe that my boy finished up his big bowl of Udon. I guess it must be nice. Photobucket My tempura didn't look appetising at all thus I still need improvement on it.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    Not all good, NIE trained teachers charges $50 an hour. And you don't have to get separate tutors for each subjects. My daughter who graduated from NIE charges only $30 an hour and she teaches all subjects.That is one to one basis and at the child's home.
    You can find one like her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, a tip to get straight prawns. Cut 2 or 2 slits on the underside of the prawn and it will straighten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,

    I can totally feel your angst where your boy's upcoming PSLE is concerned. My son is in P4 and not doing as he should and I too had been alternating between giving him pep talks and verbal blasting. In my calmer and more sober moments, I tell myself that doing well for PSLE is certainly impt but it isn't end of the world if he doesn't. After all, there is such a thing as late bloomers :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mima for the tips. I will try him out for a month and see where it goes.

    Tina, thanks for the tips. Will show you my next prawn tempura. hehehe

    Yes MJ, though I kept telling him it is not the end of the world but at least he has to put in effort. Nothing comes easy. If you put in the effort and didn't make it, at least you can tell yourself that you have tried at the end of the day. If you do well, you will be feeling so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,

    Yeah, i agree with u abt putting in the best effort but somehow kids just don't see eye to eye with us!! I put it down to their immaturity, and it seems boys are particularly guilty of this!? Anyway, hope your tutorial arrangement works out fine for your boy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, hope you're feeling better. Heard from Rei regarding your little thumb.

    My boy didn't do well this year too. I can only try my best to teach him and hope for a miracle 2 years down the road when he takes PSLE.

    Boys, in general, take a longer time to mature and 开窍. So no choice, we just have to wait. But I do agree with you that putting in effort is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your son is doing PSLE this year end, which is only about 4 months away (PSLE is in Oct), there's not much time. You have to push him during the Jun holidays. Intensive classes.

    I've gone through these and am glad that I'm through with it.

    I think its worth to put in the effort in primary school and then when they managed to get in to a better secondary school, you will be at peace/ease.

    Anyway, good luck.

    My personl opinion, not all teachers can teach all subjects. An English teacher may not be able to teach Maths and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had similar problems when my children were in primary sch. Now they are managing well on their own. I found a very good,patient & reasonable price tutor in Blk 17, Toa Payoh, just behind Pei Chun Sch. Her name is Mrs Seah Lee & both my children did very well in their PSLE under her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents have never hired a tutor for my siblings and myself and you wonder how we all managed to pass our PSLEs...with flying colours.

    You wonder if the exams are getting tougher with time or if parents' (and schools')expectations are getting out of hand.

    Singapore churns out the most brilliant children - in Maths and Science, but in exchange for that most kids nowadays have to sacrifice their childhood. I wonder if it's worth the while.

    I've gotten to know Swedish people in the last 2 years and I was told that they have a very relaxed school system. Children start school later in life and spend quite alot of time having a good time. Yet they could all speak a few languages and succeed very well in life.

    I am anxious for my children to succeed, but if studying is not their thing, I tell myself that I must learn to accept it and watch out for what they are really good at and help them cultivate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had similar problems when my children were in primary sch. Now they are managing well on their own. I found a very good,patient & reasonable price tutor in Blk 17, Toa Payoh, just behind Pei Chun Sch. Her name is Mrs Seah Lee & both my children did very well in their PSLE under her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edith,

    Yeah, i agree with u abt putting in the best effort but somehow kids just don't see eye to eye with us!! I put it down to their immaturity, and it seems boys are particularly guilty of this!? Anyway, hope your tutorial arrangement works out fine for your boy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin