Thursday, May 07, 2009

Chicken Run

Perhaps because of the swine flu, we have been eating alot of chicken lately. We didn't get paranoid because I have complete trust in AVA. It is just that I found the RIGHT stall to buy chicken. At least a decent size at a decent price. I am so sick of people cheating me so since now I know the seller is honest and reliable, he will be my regular chicken supplier. My kids actually prefers white meat than red. Besides minced beef, they are not keen on the rest. I conclude it as being lazy to chew especially my son. Perhaps I have I have to be blamed as I used to double minced red meat for his meals. Anyway, we are having chicken again. This time round, I tried out a nonya dish called Ayam Sioh. I would love to take a spicy recipe as hubby love spicy food but I have to refrain from eating anything with chillies under the doctor's instruction. Spicy food is supposed to trigger my itch, thus I am now monitoring whether this fact is true. The picture from the book looks so delicious and hope mine is to you too. Photobucket Recipe adapted from Nyonya Specialities What you need: 1.6kg chicken, cut into parts 220g tamarind pulp (mixed with 350ml water, squeezed and strained) Seasoning 3 tbsp ground coriander 10 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp salt 2 tbsp dark soy sauce 1 rounded tsp pepper 170g shallots, finely pounded Method Wash chicken and drain. Combine seasoning ingredients and tamarind water. Add chicken pieces. Leave marinated chicken overnight or at least 10 hours, chilled. transfer chicken with marinade onto a pot and cook for 20 mins over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 20 - 30 min or until chicken is tender. Set aside to cool. Heat some cooking oil and pan fry the chicken pieces. Serve with rice.
Print Friendly and PDF

13 comments:

  1. Now this is a great meal !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not eaten this dish before... looks really good leh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E, how have you been? hope everything goes perfect! I miss nyonya dishes a ton, this ayam sioh you made looks super delicious, can't wait to try (plus chilli, hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ayam sioh! My sis will make this every year during Chinese New Year. The best thing about this recipe is that it keeps well. However the nyonya's authentic version would be to use duck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mary for dropping by.

    Piggy, not too bad. hehehe.

    Hi G, long time no "see". I am good, slowly recovering from a slipped disc op. Now we are training the babies to eat spicy. *wink*

    Jo, I crave for duck but hubby don't take duck so no duck menu in the house. hehhee..

    ReplyDelete
  6. From your photos, it seems like there is chili but chili is not listed in the ingredients.

    Do you add chili?

    Btw, this looks yummy. Makes me feel like eating it right now. I am going to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alannia, there isn't any chilli to it at all. I can't take spicy food these period. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm love this dish and it certainly looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. swine flu has nothing to do with chicken. I think you are thinking of bird flu :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beau, long time no see. Hope all is well.

    Thanks Popcorn for pointing out the error. I have since corrected my short circuit thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so difficult, sometimes, to cook for many different wants and needs in one house! This chicken looks delicious; we will have to try it (any chicken recipe that involves frying is an automatic "yes" in my book!)

    Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren't accepted there, I'd love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it's a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so difficult, sometimes, to cook for many different wants and needs in one house! This chicken looks delicious; we will have to try it (any chicken recipe that involves frying is an automatic "yes" in my book!)

    Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren't accepted there, I'd love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it's a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. swine flu has nothing to do with chicken. I think you are thinking of bird flu :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin