Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Catching up to do

It has been three months since we moved in. My study cum guest room is still a mess, mainly recipes that I have clipped from news papers, magazines and from the internet.

Just imagine the accumulation over these few years. I tried to be orderly and systematic. Thus each time I tried and tested a recipe, I will reprint or retype it so that it is on a fresh and clean sheet of paper and then filed into a ring binder. Yes, normally after my round in the kitchen, the recipe will have so many markings on it!!

For those clippings, initially I tried to put it in a L shaped folder, then it grew to a box folder and now I needed a big container box to hold all these precious!!!

When will this stop or should I re-assess my habit of wanting to clip every nice recipe that comes my way? I wonder am I the only one with such quaint habit. Since my aunties are coming over in a week's time, I better get the room in spick and span condition. So while cleaning up, I got distracted again.... I saw this recipe posted in the Sunday Times some time back.

The big picture of a chocolate cupcake seems hard to resist..... Anyway, it was a good excuse to bake too. As I am have a little gathering with PW and CY. I have known PW when we were working together.

From a gathering, PW and CY got to know each other and from there, they too formed a friendship. Since we haven't catch up for quite some time and they have yet to visit my "new" home.

We took this opportunity to have a lunch and tea session. Anyway, since I won't have time to cook for them but I definitely can make time to bake something. So what better way to test out this Chocolate cupcake recipe right?

There was a little blunder along the way. I got the steps mixed up. I was a little apprehensive as to whether the cake will turned out well. When I saw it rising nicely in the oven, I breathe a sense of relief.

As usual, I am totally hopeless with ganache. It didn’t thicken as I wanted it to be but the cake is moist and soft. My guests like it so does my family who wanted more than a serving each.

Photobucket

CY was also very sweet, she baked a kueh lapis for us to try too. See how nicely those layers looks. Perfect if you asked me.

Photobucket

Adapted from Sunday Times by Chris Tan

What you need:

150g unsalted butter
½ tsp salt
150ml water
35g cocoa powder
170g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
200g castor sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method

Combine butter, salt and water in a small pot. Cover and cook over low heat till the butter has melted and the mixture is about to boil.

Add in cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Let it cool completely.

Preheat oven to 180˚C.

Sift cake flour and baking powder.

Add in sugar and mix very well. Stir for at least a min.

Add in eggs and vanilla to the cocoa mixture and beat until smooth.

Scrape this mixture into the flour.

Stir with a whisk until smooth, then spoon batter into a 12 cupcake tins. Filling it 2/3 full.

Bake for 22 to 25 mins.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. it look like Brownie to me...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith

    u are not the only one who loves to collect recipe! i love to do that too and i use a ring file to keep all the printouts as well... this looks easy and i will be copying it out and keeping it...but have a question regarding this step, add egg into cocoa mixture and beat until smooth. do i use a mixer to do this or a hand whisk will do? thks
    regards
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,

    I have this same habit of collecting recipes too. I too, have a big pile of newspaper cuttings, magazine pages, etc to file (which I have yet to do so). Hence, I also have a mess which just keep building up and not clearing. Hmm... hope i have the time to do so asap.

    I've been following your blog for long time and I'm in love with it. Kudos to your nicely done up page design. I like it!

    Regards,
    Mui Mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect recipes from magazines, tore them and stacked them in a drawer, I dare not open it. Lol. Your choc cake looks great, very moist, I'm going to try it out soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babe,i only brought my mouth to yr place to eat..haha! Nvr bake anythin. Nxt time i'll try to bake somethin simple.. after my bakin classes i told ya abt..

    Btw, can email me yr tht choc cake recipe? I wanna keep it for my file too. I am beginnin to be like u.. noticin printed recipes & havin it cut out. Told myself wd paste onto my scrape book but nvr got arnd doin it, hence i hav a big untidy pile sittin on my desk now. And havin my telly-tubby keep naggin at me to tidy up the paper mess.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chocolate cake looks so delicious and moist. Just my cup of tea. The lapis looks equally great too. I've been meaning to try this out but the thought of so many egg yolks have put me off since. I'll have to rethink about this after your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes i agree the layer cake looks marvelous!
    *yum*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chocolate cake is excellent !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What rich and delicious desserts, my mother is watering for these sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MamaElla, it is not really a brownie. It is moist yet soft. Can't explain till you try it. You might like it.

    Octopusmum, you can do either by hand or beater. I am lazy, I used beater.

    Thanks Mui Mui for supporting my little blog.

    Chicchicbaby, glad you tried it out and like it.

    Pauline, recipe already in blog post.

    Jo, lapis was baked by friend. Beautiful isn't it. Anyway, Lapis is always sinful but once awhile, we need to pamper ourself.

    Lilia, Lapis baked by friend. Me not so clever. hahaha

    Thanks Mary and Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chocolate cake looks delicious!I love the recipes you have here, and awesome photos too!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin