Monday, July 09, 2007

TGIF

Hubby has this group of friends who also his mahjong kaki for a long time. Especially T who was away from Singapore for nearly 10 years, he sure seems to miss playing with hubby. Request was turned down when he suggested a game near son's exam.

I reckon since now is school holiday, there isn't anymore excuse not to have a game or two. They are not compulsive gamblers but to them, this is a time for get together.

For girls, we grouped together to drink and chat. For guys, I think this is their form of bonding. Though I know about the rules of this game but had never been a fan of this.

To me, this is a really a very tiring game, having to sit for hours. My cousin and his wife, both in medical line took up mahjong (by the way, both hates gambling) just to keep my uncle's brain cell working. According to them, mahjong helps old people to avoid dementia.

Well, perhaps some day when hubby is retired and we got no other revenue to exercise our aging brain cell, maybe I will take up this challenge.

For tonight dinner's I decided on Mee Rebus. I have love this dish but always had an impression this is hard to prepare.

My biggest surprise was, I didn't even know red meat and coconut were involved in this till I started reading on this recipe.

Well, I was glad that I pull this through. R & H also joined in our dinner and H gave pretty good review on this. For me, I didn't taste it because I was kind of put off by the thought that my favourite actually had coconut milk in it!



recipe adapted from Asian Delights by Betty Yew

What you need:


300g beef (sliced)
8 tbsp oil
Grind 20 dried chillies, seeded
30 shallots
4 cloves garlic
5cm turmeric root
2½ cm galingale
40 black peppercorns
2 tbsp preserved soya beans
900g sweet potatoes, steamed and blended with 1 med sized coconut milk.
3 tbsp rice flour, mixed into a paste with a little water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
600g fresh yellow noodles, scalded in boiling water
300g beansprouts, tailed and scalded in boiling water

Garnishes

5 hardboiled eggs, halved
4 stalks spring onion, chopped
5 green chillies, sliced
10 small limes, haved.

Prawn crisps

Method

Heat oil and fry A until fragrant and oil separates.

Put in beef and fry for 2 mins, then pour in blended sweet potatoes coconut milk mixture. Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer for 10 mins.

Add rice flour to thicken gravy.

Add salt and sugar.

Bring to boil again, turn off heat.

To serve, put noodles, beansprouts into serving dish. Pour hot gravy over and garnish.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin