Monday, March 30, 2009

Self Centred

Recently on a regular visit to the library, I stumbled onto a book, Just Desserts. I was relieved that there aren’t any missing pages. Come to think about it, very often it is the Chinese recipe books that are dilapidated.

Once, I found a full section of pau recipes was missing from a book about dim sum. I just couldn't figure how ungracious these people are.

I should say a good percentage of Singaporean is generally self-centred. Since I started on my swimming therapy, I became a regular in the morning at the club. I begin to notice that members were removing public amenities and taking it to the shower room, oblivious to whether other members needed them.

When I indicate my displeasure, instead of feeling embarrassed, they actually got offended. In my heart, though they are all educated, they are worst off than those who are not.

Now I don't look at them with respect but instead, I see them as a bunch of shameless people. Sometime I wonder whether the campaign on Graciousness is effective on Singaporeans.

I admired the discipline and the graciousness of Western influence. Hate to say; perhaps it is in the Asian genes that we are generally the “Me First” attitude.

Enough of our ungracious society, I longed for a marble cake. I spotted one on Fresh from the Oven and decided to give it a try.

I always intrigued by marbling effect that other bakers accomplished. One such cake that I have yet to try will be the zebra cake (an egg white cake with really beautiful pattern). Nevertheless, mine didn't turn out as vibrant as hers.

Guess perhaps I needed higher quality matcha. Let's hope I didn't do too badly on the marbling. If you are looking for a soft and yet dense cake, this Chocolate Matcha Marble Cake is the one for you.

Personally, we like soft and fluffy cake much more. This one will pair very well with a cup of coffee.

Photobucket

Talking about cooking and baking, Time really flies. We have already settled down in our new home for 3 months! Now that I don't have to spend nearly half a day outside the home, I have more energy to devote time for my passion.

Also because the dream kitchen that I have, I seems to be spending more time there. hehehe...

I love to have my kid at the table studying while I bake. It is really nice as I am able to bake and watch over my kids. That is life.

What you need:

2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee powder
1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups sugar (separate into 1/3 cup and 1 cup)
1/4 cup water
1 whole egg
1 egg white
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup low fat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp matcha powder

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees with rack in the lower third of the oven. Prepared 8 tall muffin cups.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl combine the espresso powder, cocoa and 1/3 cup of the sugar with 1/4 cup of water.

Whisk until smooth to form a paste. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whisk whole egg with egg white and vanilla essence. Set aside.

Beat butter for 1 minute to soften.

Gradually add remaining 1 cup of sugar and beat at high speed for about 3 minutes.

Dribble eggs in slowly, about 1 tbsp at a time, beating constantly for about 2 minutes.

Add in 1/3 flour and alternate with half of the yoghurt.

Continue with the same sequence and ends with the flour.

Measure out 1 1/2 cups of yogurt batter and mix into the cocoa mixture. Set aside.

Add matcha powder to the rest of the yogurt batter in the mixing bowl.

Use a large spoon to fill the bottom of the pan with about three quarters of the green batter placed in dollops.

Cover the green batter with dollops of chocolate batter.

Top the chocolate batter with small dollops of green batter spaced so that the chocolate batter shows through.

Use a table knife to marble the batters together with a circular or zigzag motion; be careful not to blend them too much.

For cupcakes, scoop a heaping tablespoon of either green or brown batter into each paper liner, and cover it with the alternate batter.

Marbling the batter with a knife is optional. If you do not marble the batter, you will get a two tone cake instead of a marble cake.

Bake for 45-50 minutes for cake, (20-25 minutes for cupcakes) or until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.

Cool for 10-15 minutes on a rack. Unmold the cake.

Cool completely before serving or storing.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hihi,

    I have just baked the same cupcake recently using the same recipe as yours but as I blogged about, my cupcakes turned out sticky and sourish from the yogurt.

    What a dampener.

    Your marble cupcake looks great and fluffy!

    Cheers,
    Starningblue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hihi,

    I have just baked the same cupcake recently using the same recipe as yours but as I blogged about, my cupcakes turned out sticky and sourish from the yogurt.

    What a dampener.

    Your marble cupcake looks great and fluffy!

    Cheers,
    Starningblue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin