Monday, March 16, 2009

Once again

Once again, the school holiday is here. For March and Sept short break, we usually spent it in Malaysia. This time, we opted not to travel. Actually it was because the last holiday we had, we were informed that son needed to go back to school for classes after we confirmed our holiday booking. I felt bad that he was unable to attend then.

So this time round, we decided to stay put but we didn't get any notice for extra lesson this time round. haiz. This means that I have to draw up some plans for them so that they will not be bored. Actually a week is really easy to pass.

Was reading through a new library book I loaned last week. I never had a chance to borrow NEW books from the library and I was really pleased to see and feel the clean crisp pages. It is so nice to read a book fully intact.

What pisses me all the time was a nice book that got pages torn out, missing recipes and pictures. I will curse and swear under my breath each time I encounter this. I just wonder why Singaporeans are so ungracious. Getting it photocopied is not expensive at all!!!! Why are these people so inconsiderate? Strangely, majority of time it is the Chinese recipe books that got "DISFIGURED". Guess, for us to become gracious is really difficult.

Just like yesterday, I was down at Ikea. I noticed that people are not keeping trays anymore. When the campaign was on, I do see improvement. Somehow, we Singaporean perhaps have short term memory. Anyway, I chose the wrong day to bake bread.

I actually done the starter dough yesterday as it need 17 hours to proof. When I awake this morning, I was pleased with the weather but ..... darn.. I am going to bake bread and this weather definitely won't help with my proofing.

Haiz, since I have already gotten all the ingredients ready. What the heck, but to go with the flow.

Let's hope Lady Luck is with me today. Guess my lucky star is shinning on me. Despite the gloomy weather, my bread making experience today is awesome.

Everything went as planned. I even did a quick drive up to Hougang to collect my helper's passport. By the time we are back, my bread had risen beautifully. I was really excited because this is my first time seeing bread well proofed.

Then again, before the final stage, I was hoping that it will come together beautifully and I was praying hard. hahahaha. This is definitely a keeper. I love the aroma of this

Assorted Nut Bread perfumed round the house while baking. Awesome. Photobucket

Recipe adapted from Natural Breads Make Easy.

What you need:

Pre-ferment dough


385g Bread flour
205g water
5g instant yeast
5g sea salt
5g milk powder

Method

Dissolve the yeast in water till it bubbles. Add bread flour, salt and milk. Knead until soft. Cover the dough in cling wrap and chilled for 17 hours.

Photobucket Dough

153g bread flour
15g milk powder
5g sea salt
143g water
3g yeast
41g unsalted butter

Grind

77g walnuts
26g ground sesames
61g almonds
77g pine nuts
77g hazelnuts
60g sugar

Method

Knead all ingredients of dough and grinded nuts together (except the butter).

Add preferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition till soft and smooth.

Add butter and continue to knead till it pass the stretch test. Cover with cling wrap and prove for 25 - 30 mins.

Divide the dough into 18 portion (approx 70g).

Flatten the dough with your hands to drive the air out and round each piece of dough. Cover with cling wrap and proof for another 20 mins.

Flatten the dough with your hands to drive the air out. Roll the dough with your hands into long strands with tapered ends. Lightly dust with flour.

Braid six strands repeatedly into a loaf. Cover with cling wrap and prove for about 30 mins till double in size.

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle flaked almonds over it.

Bake for 30 mins at 170 - 180 degrees.
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. Wow.. this sure smell and taste just as good as it look.... It had being long since my last bake on "Bread" recipes.... because i am turn-off by the proofing time... :(

    But Edith, yours was great!!!! I can almost smell the aroma of the freshly baked bread... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is bad for my health cos it makes me so HUNGRY!!! Your food looks fabulous and am sure it tastes just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things turn out great despite the weather. Though the proofing time took so long but I think it is well worth the effort having homemade bread coming out your oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bread looks really tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,

    I'm a new visitor to your blog and I like it very much :) I'm interested to try out this 17 hr bread but i read somewhere that fresh yeast is used, can u pls confirm that instant yeast will do too? Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ellena, this bread is indeed very good. I just gotten the book and am going to try others.

    Eunice, I hope you enjoy my blog.

    Rei, yes I am happy with the outcome of this 17 hours method.

    Thanks Rokh.

    Hi MJ, you can either use fresh yeast or instant. For me, it is easier to get the later one. Amt is different between fresh and instant though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith, tks for the clarification. Can i assume then that all the yeast measurement given in yr recipes r instant yeast? tks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith

    Tks for the swift response. I'll try this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith

    I enjoy your blog. This bread looks delicious. I noticed this bread does not have any sugar among the ingredients used. How does the bread taste? Thank you.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith

    Tks for the swift response. I'll try this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad things turn out great despite the weather. Though the proofing time took so long but I think it is well worth the effort having homemade bread coming out your oven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Edith,

    I'm a new visitor to your blog and I like it very much :) I'm interested to try out this 17 hr bread but i read somewhere that fresh yeast is used, can u pls confirm that instant yeast will do too? Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading your blog is bad for my health cos it makes me so HUNGRY!!! Your food looks fabulous and am sure it tastes just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin