Thursday, March 19, 2009

Is this pretty?

I love Thai food very much. Tom Yam Goong is one of my favourite. Recently I also developed the love for Thai Mango Salad especially this restaurant that I patronised quite often. Thai dessert is heavenly too, of course minus the coconut milk. LOLz.

I love their steamed tapioca but it is always coated with coconut milk. Sometime when I am lucky, they are able to serve without it. Strangely, I am not the only one in the family that doesn't take coconut milk. I can't say it was my parents’ upbringing as they do take coconut. It is only my siblings and I that don't like it. Especially desiccated coconut, no matter how much I convinced myself. I just couldn't swallow it.

Since the cook doesn’t take coconut milk, our family's diet does not have them unless it is curry that is one the dining table. hahaha I am clearing my fridge for fresh supplies tomorrow. Saw a packet of water chestnut. I guess initially I wanted to make wanton but ended up not doing it at all.

Hence when I saw Sugar & Everything's Tub-tim Grob(Rubies in Coconut Milk). I knew we will have this for our dessert tonight.

I love this dessert. I like the crunch as well as the chewiness. I don't think it goes too badly with my version of Tub-tim Grob (Rubies in milk)

Photobucket

What you need:

30 pieces of fresh water chestnuts
1/2 cup water
1 cup tapioca flour
2/3 sugar
food coloring of our choice
2/3 evaporated milk
Pandan leaves

Method:

Peel and diced water chestnut. Less than 1 cm cube.

Place chestnut cubes into a bowl and drop add the food coloring and a teaspoon of water and mix well. I have taken Jo's advice and got my kids to chose different colours.

Drain the chestnuts in a sieve.

Put tapioca flour in a big bowl. Drop the chestnuts in and shake the bowl around to coat the chestnuts with flour.

Drop the coated chestnuts into a dry sieve and shake off excess flour. Put it into another bowl.

Spray some water on the chestnuts with a misting spritzer. Put them back in the flour bowl. Coat them with flour again. If you want bigger rubies, repeat the spraying and flouring.

Boil a pot of water. When boiling, dump the coated rubies in. The cooked rubies will float and turned transulcent. Remove with strainer and put them in ice water bath (this ensure that the rubies won't stick to each other)

To prepare the syrup. Place water and sugar in a small pot with pandan leaves. Bring to a boil till cook this sugar is dissolved.

Divide the rubies into equal portion and place them in serving bowl. Add half of the evaporated milk and half of the syrup. Serve cold.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I love this dessert too. My fav is mango sticky rice which I used to eat for lunch everyday. Am going to miss it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your rubies! It's one of my favourite dessert! Will definitely make this one day. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. love the colour combination!!! It sure make a great dessert during party :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely beautiful ! Every time when I have this dessert, I do look at rubies and keep thinking how they had been made. Now I was like a kid who found secret of the magic ^_^ Have to put this under my 'MUST TRY' list and try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eunice, talking about sticky rice, I like mine with durian. hehehe.

    BH, you are welcome.

    Ellena, nice colour right? Chosen by my kids.

    Ching, Thai desserts are good, for me minus the coconut milk. hahaha

    Chumpman, thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eunice, talking about sticky rice, I like mine with durian. hehehe.

    BH, you are welcome.

    Ellena, nice colour right? Chosen by my kids.

    Ching, Thai desserts are good, for me minus the coconut milk. hahaha

    Chumpman, thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin