Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Was testing out

I was talking to JY the other day and she said she cooked 牛腩 (beef brisket) a few days back and it was delicoius. This prompted me to go to the wet market to get some and try my hand at it. Unfortunately, the butcher ran out of this meat. As I didn't want to waste my trip, I bought beef shin instead. Beef shin is also good if you do slow cooking.

Talking about 牛腩 (beef brisket). Last weekend, we visited one of our favourite stall in Sembawang. This lady is from Hong Kong and she does a mean dish of 牛腩. She sells beef tendon too which is a rare find these days. When I chanced upon her stall two years ago (by accident) and introduced it to my family. They all love it. Her noodles done just right, the sauce is aromatic and the taste of her beef is authentic enough to remind me of HongKong. Her cheery personality adds warmth to her service (by the way, she rans this stall single handedly). Her patrons usually wait patiently for her as they do know what they are getting at the end of the line.

Well back to my 牛腩. Mine didn't turned out as good as the one from Sembawang. My helper also cut the beef wrongly and thus it looses the bites to it.

Now, I must ask JY for her version. In the meantime, I think we have had enough of red meat. Time to switch to white ones. After this festive period, we will need to switch to be on a green diet. hehehe. Photobucket Recipe adapted from The Best of Singapore Cooking.

What you need:

A

1 tbsp ginger juice
2 tbsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp pepper

B

1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar

C

2 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water

D

1 tbsp sugar
6 slices of ginger

E

8 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
10 shallots, cut into halves

F

2 star anise
1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
1 cinnamon bark

900g beef brisket, cut into cubes
285ml water

Method

Marinate beef with A for an hour.

Heat wok and brown D. Add in E and fry till fragrant.

Next add F, beef and B and stir fry over high heat for 10 mins.

Add in water and let it boil for another 10 mins.

Lower heat and let it simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours till meat is soft.

Bring heat up and add in C to thicken the gravy.

Serve hot with rice or noodle.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin