Saturday, January 17, 2009

When it gets started

I remembered when I was young, spring cleaning is such a big event in our household. Mom will get so stressed up to ensure that our house is spick and span. Sometime I wonder why we have to go to this extent to clean up the house.

Afterall, she is a PERFECT wife who keeps her house neat and tidy and to certain extent spotless. She will always nag at us for our messy rooms. After dinner, all dishes will be wiped dry and stored away. Basin will be "polished" and floor swept and mopped. Luckily there were three of us to rotate our duties. LOLz.

Anyway, I am glad that this year, she doesn't have to do any. Afterall, they just moved into their new home not too long ago. The smell of a new home is still there. LOLz. She was even asking me whether she should wash her curtain.

Gosh!!!!!! can't believe it. Anyway, mom's age is catching up and she is looking more frail and tiny these days. Her lungs haven't been getting stronger since the day she caught bronchitis and that is many years ago.

Poor lady. Thus, for the past two years, I have been baking cookies for her. As I am still supposed to "bed rest". My sister advised me to refrain from baking. Somehow, I just couldn't resist the temptation to do it as I read so many blogs loaded with delicious bakes.

Store bought goodies never tempt me. They all look "dried up" and lack the lustre of the mouth watering feel. Guess I trust homemade cookies much more.

I have been pondering over many recipes and couldn't decide whether to can the idea of baking for CNY. Against my sister and mom's advice and having 32 medical leave stress that I should be resting couldn't mellow down the craving for home made cookies. So I started planning what to add to the list.

I also break the baking process. Like I will prepare the dough first and bake them in batches. First on the list must be the Pineapple Tart.

It is like a die die MUST HAVE in every household. Perhaps of its meaningful symbol of wealth especially during the Lunar New Year. Since my dear Cousin EL stopped her "little factory" the year before last.

We all missed her melt in the mouth pineapple so much. Last year, I attempted it but I should say I did such a bad job. This year, I am going to try it once again but not with her recipe. I decided to use Lekker's instead. It did pass the taste test. JY likes it alot.

Now let's see whether those fussy eaters in my family do. I bought a little cheap toy to play with this year. It is more time consuming that the open face ones though.
Photobucket

The more traditional one but I minus the fanciful dress up because by the end of it, I was getting tired.

Photobucket

Verdict: This is a keeper.

Source: Lekker's

What you need:

340g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp icing sugar
250g butter, cubed
1 egg yolk
25ml cold water
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 beaten egg, glazing

Method:

Sift flour, salt and mix sugar into a mixing bowl.

Rub in butter till mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Beat in the egg yolk and add cold water and essence. Mix well to form a dough.

Place in plastic bag and chill for 30 mins.

Roll pastry out on a lightly floured tablestop and cut out with tart cutters.

Fill each piece with the pineapple jam.

Glaze with beaten egg.

Bake at 180 degree celcius for 15 mins.

=============

No 2 will be a Butter Crunch Cookies that I took from Feed My World. This had received many good reviews.

I like anything with cornflakes and not forgetting my favourite nut, Pecan. Last year I had one that was really good but I decided to try something new this round.

Photobucket

Mine didn't turn out as nice as hers but the taste is definitely what I am looking for. Simply divine.

This is another good one.

Pass VN and JY's taste test.

AK shared another wonderful recipe.

This friend of mine is really a good dear friend. Alway sharing good stuff with me. How can I live without her.

Yet another good Butter Cookie recipe for keep.
Photobucket

Last on the list is one that I wanted to try donkey years ago. It was such a rave during that time. I really got to find out how it taste like as my nephew is crazy over the Famous Amos ones.

It is definitely much cheaper making than buying them. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectation. Now I have to wait for my nephew's verdict.

Photobucket

Well am I not getting adventurous? Perhaps, and I know tomorrow when mommy comes for a visit, I will have an earful.

Not that she doesn't appreciate but she is more concern about me not resting. Now I really have to rest as I am feeling the strain.

See ya.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This is the first time i'm in your blog.All pictures are mouthwatering. I want to try your pineapple tart. Thanks for sharing the recipe. You are so generous .God bless u.
    Thanks
    Kurungani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thanks for sharing the recipe. Really like the pineapple tarts you have made. Will try them up soon.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Can I hv the melt in the mouth pineapple tarts recipe pls....i guess you delete it ...cant access

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used your p.tarts recipe this cny. the pastry was perfect. may i know what toy is that to create those pineapple rolled tarts? my sis insists that i make those next cny :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kuttani, thanks for dropping by.

    Olivia, some bloggers already tried it and said it was good. Perhaps you will like it too.

    Pris, you can find this gadget in the baking supply chain, I bought it there. There is a picture on the packaging too so you won't miss it. It is call Nastar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Can you share your Famous Amos Wannabe cookie recipe? My husband loves them too, and I saw it on your blog, wanted to try making them but I couldn't find the recipe... :) Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diane,

    As it is not up to my expectation as a Famous Amos cookie, thus I didn't keep this recipe. Will continue to search for one that is close to authentic.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin