Thursday, January 22, 2009

Give me more stamina

Earlier on, I gave nearly all my cookies to my mom as this year, we are expecting the whole clan at their new place. Leaving so little for my family, I felt really bad and decided to have another go at the cookies.

I am also a sucker for new recipe and especially for pineapple tart. LOLz. Even though the previous one was good, the curiousity to search for better ones over ruled.

So here I am with last week's Sunday Times published recipe. Initially I was really happy because the dough was so easy to handle (I didn't even need to chill it - perhaps this was the trick).

The disappointment came after, the final product lacks the taste. It has this "wet" and crumbly feel to it while handling and it sticks to your mouth. I ended having to wash it down with tea.

Now I am thinking whether my dear family will eat these. Haiz what a waste for good quality butter.

I am going to publish this recipe so that next time, I can make a comparison with what works and what don't.

Photobucket

What you need:
Tart Base


250g butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
440g plain flour
1 tbsp milk powder pineapple jam (I am not going to provide this)
1 egg, beaten for glazing

Method

Preheat oven to 165˚C.

Cream the butter with vanilla essence on medium speed for about 10 mins.

Add the egg yolk and continue mixing for 2 mins until well incorporated.

Sift flour and milk powder into the mixture. Mix on low speed for 2 mins before increasing to 3 mins to attain a coarse, crumbly texture forms.

Place the mixture into a large bowl and knead it for about 5 mins until a smooth dough is formed.

Set the dough to chill for 20 mins (clingwrapped it).

Remove dough and shape your tart as desired. (the author made closed face tart)

Brush egg wash and bake for about 15 mins or till tarts turn golden.

==============

Next on the list is a Cornmeal Cookies. I was taken in by the word as it sounded healthy. They also have raisins in it and I do love raisin. mmm....

This cookie has a crunchy texture and yet light. I used polenta but I think next round I will use a finer ones. It has an nice aroma to it because of the lemon extract that I used.

Overall, I like this because it is different and it is good.

Do visit Angie's forum, she has many tried and tested recipes which work really well.

I recalled the Hokkaido Bread that she first posted. It was my first successful bread making dated back in 2006.

I was delighted with the result. Later on, it started a rave in Singapore blogs and had received many positive comments.

Photobucket

What you need:

110g butter
1 tsp baking powder
140g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
110g plain flour
1 tsp lemon extract (use good quality ones)
1/2 cup raisins
65g cornmeal (fine)

Method:

Beat the butter and sugar till creamy.

Mix in the egg and lemon extract. Blend well.

In separate bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt and flour.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix well.

Stir in the raisins.

Drop batter by teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet

Baked at 190˚C for 10 - 12 mins until bottom of cookies are browned.

Cool cookies on tray for a min before lifting them onto a cooling rack.

==============

Lastly, wanted something chocolatey for my chocoholic family. Chocolate Chip Cookie was shared by AK again.

I am sure my family will like it especially dear hubby who is a nuts lover.

This cookies is light and because of the walnuts give it a nice bite and aroma to it.

Photobucket

Verdict: Another definite recipe to keep.

Now, let's see whether I have the stamina to bake cakes.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Can I hv your recipes for melt in the mouth pineapple tarts and Night and Day Bar please....cant access ..did you deleted it...

    thanks thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Serena,

    Last year, I accidentally deleted over 300 posts and some of the recipes are lost.

    I am now trying very very slowly to rebuild them but some will be lost forever as I don't have a hard copy.

    Thanks for dropping by though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do u call this recipe if u dont even know how to make the pineapple jam, which is most important!!!
    GO HOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tsk tsk Anonymous, your comment really reflect on your upbringing.

    FYI, I am already HOME! If you can't accept what I post, then it is best that you stop visiting this blog.

    Go vent your pent up frustration somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin