Thursday, September 25, 2008

Out but not down

Three of my daughter's classmates are down with Hand, Foot and mouth disease. For prevention, a few of them are not going to school.

The parents are afraid that this will spread to the sibilings who are either in the midst of preparing for exam or having their exam.

For me, I too become paranoid as my dear prince can't afford to skip school.

Having the little one at home meant that I more time at home and don't have to "hang around" for them to finish school. But I need to fill the time out productively as of late, she is quite glued to her cable TV. Something that I am not really in favour of.

I have a tray of "baby eggs", I couldn't resist not buying them as they were soooo cute. Really tiny.

My first thought was it will be great as Tea Eggs 茶葉蛋!!

Actually I have been craving for them for quite some time. The smell is simply hard to resist whenever we passed by such stall but I just refused to buy these as now the prices had gone up and yet not really fantastic in taste.

So I got my little one to help me to crack these hard boiled eggs and went about preparing them. The whole house was filled with the beautiful fragrant smell of tea eggs while simmering. Simply awesome.

Photobucket

What you need:

30 eggs
2 tbsp salt
30g black tea leaves
3 star anise
2 stick cinnamon
2 slices tong kwai
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp soya sauce
6 pieces kum cho (licorice)
2 pieces orange peel
1½ tbsp pepper
1 tbsp rhizome 川芎
szechuan lovage root or cnidium
1 slice 熟地 cooked rehmannia root
2 litre of water (approx, depending on the size of your pot)

Method

Prepare the hard boiled eggs. Once cooled, cracked them gently.

Place cracked eggs into a pot and fill it with water.

Make sure the water covers the eggs.

Add in spices/herbs. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for ½ hours.

Best to leave overnight for more intense taste.

Photobucket

I didn't managed to get that marbeling effect as I suspect that either we didn't "crack" it enough or we didn't allow the eggs to sit long enough in the tea mixture.

Let's see whether tomorrow the marbeling will appear that is, if there is any left. Wish me luck. Last but not least, I would love to submit this entry to World Egg Day.

**********

I saw some delicious looking pumpkin just now and started to miss my mom's home cooking. Immediately I bought it and prepared this for our dinner. My mom used to cook this with fermented bean and goes so well with white rice.

Though my son dislike pumpkin for whatever reason, I am sure he is going to enjoy this Pumpkin with Fermented bean. Yum.

Photobucket

What you need:

half pumpkin (skin removed and cut into large cubes)
300g minced pork
1.5 tsp soya sauce
a dash of pepper a dash of sesame oil
1 tbsp fermented soya bean (either black or white) - minced
5 clove of garlic (minced)

Method:

Marinate minced pork with soya sauce, pepper and sesame oil. Set aside.

Heat wok with a little oil.

Add minced fermented soya bean and garlic. Saute till fragrant.

Add in minced pork and fry till cooked.

Add in pumpkin and stir fry.

Add in water and let it simmer for about 10 - 15 min or till the pumpkin is soft.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin