Monday, September 29, 2008

In the wilderness

Yesterday, my hubby and son went to help me pick up some wild tapioca. I reckon if I don't do it now, when the bull dozers come along. The whole patch of greenery will be gone.

I wanted to try my hand at Baked Tapioca Kueh. I read with interest that some are baked and some are steamed. The reason why I wanted to try was last year, my aunt bought me some from a stall near her home. It was really nice. It has some bites to it.

So after browsing through my "library", I settle for Mrs Leong Yee Soo's recipe but I twisted it alittle. Instead of golden yellow, mine came out a darker shade. Perhaps it is the gula melaka that caused it. Mine was some homemade source that was given to me.

Photobucket

What you need

1.4kg tapioca, finely grated
100g castor sugar
100g gula melaka (palm sugar)- grated
1 tbsp melted butter
3 tsp cornflour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 pack of coconut milk (divide into two types, thick and thin)

Method

Preheat oven to 177 degree celcius. Grease a 20 X 20 tray. Line the side with grease proof paper and dust with flour.

Set the grated tapioca over a sieve and drain out the water. Allow the water to stand to settle the starch (approx half hour).

Collect the starch and mix with the grated tapioca.

Pour 400ml of coconut milk to a bowl and set aside.

Pour the remaining coconut milk and add water to form 100ml of thin coconut milk

Combine all ingredients and the thin coconut milk. Bring to boil and simmer then sugar is melted.

Add in the thick coconut milk and cook for another min.

Pour the hot egg/coconut mixture into the grated tapioca and mix well.

Pour into prepared tray and smooth out the surface.

Baked for 15 min till light brown and reduce heat and bake at 135 degree celcius for another 1 - 1.5 hours till golden brown.

Cool slightly and then remove from pan to cool completely.

***********************

To continue my second part of my wilderness find. Outside my backyard, an old neighbour turned the place into a little banana plantation. Since they moved out early this year.

The "plantation" is basically left to nature to nurture.

Recently, we saw one of them "given birth" to a bunch of babies. Patiently we waited till harvest time.

Voila, it is sweet and nice. We have so many that we need to give them away to son's taekwondo teacher.

So here we are, going banana soon!!!

I wanted to find out how a Banana Flambe taste like. I tried to give that "fire" experience but with no success.

In actual fact, I gave more than a doze of alcohol but only managed a fraction of the banana being flambe. No wonder it takes skill to create this dramatic effect.

Photobucket

What you need:

6 bananas (mine are small)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cognac
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Cointreau
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 2 oranges
Rind of 1 lemon, sliced
Whipped cream Cinnamon/Nutmeg

Method:

Place bananas, brown sugar, cognac and lemon juice. Marinate 15 minutes.

Heat butter and sugar, cook until caramelized.

When golden brown pour in orange juice; mix well.

Cook 2 or 3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add banana mix to orange mix; add lemon rind and cook 1 minute.

Pour in Cointreau and flambe. Cook 1 minute on high. Add whipped cream and cinnamon.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin