Monday, October 29, 2007

All my favourite

I love chocolate especially dark and bitter ones. I love most nuts except peanuts and bananas are my family favourites. It will be so wonderful to combine all these favourites into one. Isn't it?

I was reading "The Greyston Bakery Cookbook". The story of how this bakery started is really cool. The founders are really great people and their generousity, I am sure inspired many others. These people are really with heart of gold. Nothing beats that.

I was looking for their famous brownie unfortunately it wasn't published. hahaha.... well if not, I guess the secret of Ben and Jerry's famous ice cream will longer be magical.

Photobucket

There were many awesome recipes that I wanted to try. Since I had all my favourites on hand today. I decided to bake Chocolate Banana Nut Cake instead.

My daughter had a busy weekend, doing her year end concert which was a blast. She had enjoyed herself tremendously and also a sleepover at her cousin's house.

After a hectic weekend, I got myself busy this morning knowing that she will sleep later than usual. The cake is relatively easy to put together but I was having trouble getting it baked. It took much longer than the indicated time. I was worried that I will overbaked it, so I had a foil over it to prevent it from burning.

While typing out the recipe, I realised that the cake pan size is 10" instead of 8" so maybe that explains why I had difficulty with the baking time.

Luckily, the cake turned out moist, rich and delicious. Since I used a minty dark chocolate, it was absolutely gorgeous.

I love the crunch of the pecan with each bite too. Yum yum.

Photobucket

What you need:

6oz unsalted butter
6oz semisweet chocolate (I used dark minty)
1 1/2 cup plain flour
190g sugar
1/2 cup ground walnuts (I used hazelnut)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 buttermilk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups lightly mashed ripe banana (approx 450g)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped walnut (I used pecan nuts)

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Greased and lined a 10” cake pan.

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler till it is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

Sift together flour and baking powder and baking soda.

Add sugar, ground hazelnuts, and salt. Blend thoroughly.

Stir in buttermilk, vanilla extract and banana just until combined. Set aside.

Add the eggs to the cooled chocolate mixture.

Stir until well combined and thick. Stir into the banana mixture until well combined.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 mins.

Remove and sprinkle chopped pecan nuts over the top and continue to bake for another 25 mins until skewer comes out clean.

Cool cake on rack. Serve either plain or a dollop of spiked whipped cream.

Precious Moments @ 10:40 AM :: (7) comments
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin