Friday, July 27, 2007

Finally back

Finally hubby is back at least for the time being. No news of further travel plans. Yipee. My health is finally in track.

Thanks to C, for that four days of ginseng tea. Thanks mate! You are the best.

Not forgetting H for ever so loving and sweet, bought a jar of eye mask for me to nurse my swollen eyes. I am truly touched by your gals's heart and generousity.

Besides family, friendship meant alot to me. That is why I always treasure them and it always breaks my heart when it comes to an end.

Nevertheless, my mom always tell me. You only need a few good ones to be around and that is enough.

Luckily for me, I got more than a few good ones. hehehehe.... ain't I a lucky gal?

I am truly looking forward to some good quality family time together this weekend. Since I haven't really been that active in the kitchen for the past weeks. I decided to venture out and made Pulut Serikaya as I needed to use up a packet of coconut milk. This is my first attempt in making Nonya Kueh. Though I never been a big fan of coconut milk but I always has a soft spot for Bengawan Solo's.

Well, you can see how ugly and unpresentable mine is. I think the heat was too high during the steaming process resulted in an very uneven layer. Wondering how others do theirs. Luckily it tasted not too bad, a verdict from my home food tasters.

Photobucket

recipe adapted from Asian Delights

What you need

7 eggs
300g sugar
5 tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp yellow colouring
2 tbsp rose water
1 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
500g glutinous rice (soak overnight and drain)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup thick coconut milk for the kaya
1 cup thin coconut milk for the rice base

Method

Mix eggs with sugar and flour until smooth.

Add yellow colouring, rose water and thick coconut milk. Set aside.

Place soaked rice in a cake pan.

Mix in salt and thin coconut milk.

Steam over rapid boiling water for 10 mins.

Press down rice firmly and further steam for another 10 mins.

Test rice, if not cook, prolong the steaming.

Pour and sieve prepared serikaya topping over steamed rice.

Steam over medium to low heat for 12 - 15 mins till kaya set.

Cool before cutting into slices.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin