Friday, April 27, 2007

It didn't stop me

After my choux pastry failure, it didn't stop me from trying out this wonderful recipe that a forum member shared. I am a big fan of A**ie Pretzel and so are my kids. This gives me more reason to bake some myself.

I woke up with bright sunshine and was so delighted because then I can proof the dough to "perfection". If you remembered, my past bread making experiences aren't that great. As I was mixing the yeast with warm water, the thought suddenly flashed, "is my yeast alive or dead?". How am I to know? Gosh!!!! being paranoid.

Second heart stopping was the sun just decided to hide behind the clouds, so in order not to waste precious time as I need to send my princess to school. I proof it in the oven which I read somewhere that this can be done. Aiya, gosh, I nearly burnt my dough!!!! Luckily save it in time.

I think I managed to get the dough double in size and decided to shape it even though the proofing time is not up yet. Then I wonder, "punching" down the dough applies to pretzel or not? Anyway, I went ahead with the punching and rolling.

Now another question pops, should I created a long "tube" like and then shaped into a pretzel and dipped into soda water or should I shaped it first and then dipped into the soda water? How am I going to "dip" when it has been shaped?

So I experimented with both options. First option to shape and dip proved a little tricky. Second option to dip and shaped was even more horrendous, the "tube" got enlongated. alamak!

After lying them onto a tea towel to "dripped off the excess water", I wanted to transfer them to the baking sheet. Another heart stopper again, it got stuck to the tea towel!!!!

Now should it be a damp tea towel or a dry tea towel? Tsk tsk....... and because of the tricky part of having to remove the sticky dough onto the baking sheet, all my pretzels become distorted.

In the end, I got the most ugly looking pretzel one can imagine but you know what, it is really yummy tasting. I will definitely give it a try again.

Thanks J for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Photobucket

What you need

1¼ cup warm water
1 tbsp plus
¼ tsp yeast
3 3/4 cups plain flour
¾ cup plus
2 tbsp icing sugar
1½ salt
2 tsp canola oil

Bath (mix till dissolved)
2 cups warm water
1/8 cup baking soda

Method

Mix yeast with the warm water, set aside for a few minutes.

Add flour, icing sugar, salt and oil with the yeast mixture.

Knead for 10 mins till dough is smooth. Cover the kneaded dough and let it proof for an hour or double in size.

Preheat oven to 220°C.

Divide dough into 8 – 12 portions.

Shape into pretzel and dip it into the bath solution. Dry it on a tea towel.

Remove the one on the tea towel and placed them on a silpat mat after you are done with the second pretzel dipping.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes

For salted pretzel, sprinkle salt before baking.

For sweet pretzel, after removing from oven, brush melted butter immediately and coat with your favourite toppings such as cinnamon sugar.

Note: I prefer to bake on silpat mat than parchment paper as it tends to stick to the paper despite greasing.

Precious Moments @ 11:02 AM :: (6) comments
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edith, I've always wanted to make pretzels and bagels but have not gone down that avenue yet. Great job. I too find it difficult to proof dough on a rainy day. Does your oven have a pilot light? Just turn that on without the heat, and place the dough inside. The heat from the oven light will help with the proofing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I love bagels. Used to have this little bakery that sell awesome ones near my work place but it has since closed down.

    Nope I don't have a pilot light. Which brand is yours?

    Since my last bread making and broke my mixer, I am getting paranoid in making bread.

    Cost me a bomb to repair coz the motor burnt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin