Saturday, April 28, 2007

Absolutely gorgeous

I am sure alot of us, besides acquiring bake or cook books, they also cut and copy interesting recipes waiting for the THE day to experiment it.

Well, I got tons and tons of them. It is always "wow this sounded really yummy", "gosh, I would want to bake/cook this" or "this is really easy, I must do it", "this MUST go into my 'to try' list" and blah blah blah.

Well, this recipe, Baklava Muffin caught my attention, because it has got all my favourite ingredients in it, secondly I've got a packet of buttermilk that I bought a week ago resting in my fridge, waiting patiently for me to utilised it.

Why I bought it, was because it is not readily available. It is always the "just in case" .... and having the word Baklava sounded so middle eastern that brought back some sweet memories of how good some Iranian Nougat C and I had tried when she got a box back from a business trip.

Lastly, I haven't been baking muffins for the longest time. So enough of good reasons to keep me in the kitchen.

After reading a fellow forum member's verdict on this recipe, I decided right away that I got to bake these.

The kitchen was smelling heavenly. This is definitely a keeper.

Photobucket

I have modified the recipe a little (adapted from Nigella Lawson)

What you need

Fillings

200g chopped walnuts
75g demerara or brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
90g unsalted butter, melted

Muffins

210g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g caster sugar
1 large egg
45g unsalted butter, melted
250ml buttermilk

Topping

125ml runny honey (I skip this as I don't really like my muffins to be too sweet)

Method

Preheat oven 200°C.

Combine filling ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar.

Whisk egg, melted butter and buttermilk well.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture.

Combine lightly but do not over mix it.

Fill the muffin papers one-third full, add a scant tablespoon of filling, then cover with more muffin mixture until two-thirds full.

Sprinkle any remaining filling on top of the muffins. Bake for 15 minutes, by which time they should be golden brown and ready.

Place muffins onto a rack and drizzle with honey. You may find it easier to warm the honey a little before pouring.

Posted by Precious Moments @ 9:23 AM :: (4) comments
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin