Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Oh dear

I have always been inspired by Do What I Like. I have tried some of her recipes and with success and that really boost my confidence.

This time round, I was really curious how Cocoa Puff Cream Cake taste like. Wanted to do it for quite sometime but didn't get around to it so finally here it comes.

Mine turned out disaster because firstly, I couldn't find Alsa Gulaman in either Singapore or Malaysia (now I am wondering whether it is from Indonesia).

I thought I saw this brand some where before but my poor senile brain just couldn't recall where.

I was wondering whether should I use Agar Agar or Jelly. In the end, I got a local jello brand as subsitute and I couldn't find a mango flavour to it. So it is strawberry jello with mango!

Secondly, I was too impatient to wait for the jelly to cool as I was afraid that my freshly cut mango will turn brown. So in I pour the hot jello. Yucks!!! the cream started to float. Immediately I halt it but damage done. I should have known better to the same method as the Strawberry Mashmallow Cake. Too late.

After 4 hours, I finally get to savour my cake! My jello couldn't set despite me adding some gelatine to it!!! It was totally gone. I pour out the liquid and praying hard to savage the "cake". Phew, luckily the mango adhere to the cream.

So here I present you my ugly but really yummy Cocoa Puff Cream Cake.

Thanks F, I will definitely try again with the RIGHT ingredients.

Photobucket

What you need

1 loaf pan ( W6.5 x L22.5 x H6cm)
24 cocoa puff biscuits
375ml Nestle All Purpose Cream + 2 tsp rum + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Diced Mango (desired amount)
45g Alsa Gulaman
250ml boiling water

Method:

Line cake container with glad wrap.

Mix cream with rum till well combined with a spoon or spatula.

Fill container with 1 layer of biscuits.

For this loaf pan, used 6 pieces of biscuits.

***For this very first layer, smear a little cream on the bottom of the biscuit so that it will stick to the glad wrap. Top with 4 - 5 tablespoons of cream. Smooth and level the cream out.

Repeat steps (3) and (4) till the desired height is achieved.

That is, 1 layer of biscuit then 1 layer of cream.

Total 4 layers of biscuits.

The last layer of cream should be thicker, about 6 - 7 tablespoonful or more.

Finally top with a layer of fruits.

Cook Alsa Gulaman with a cup of boiling water in a pot till dissolved.

Pour warm Alsa Gulaman over the fruits and chill for at least 3 - 4 hours before serving.

Notes from Florence

The above ingredient measure is based on the above mentioned loaf pan, you should increase or decrease ingredient amount according to the size of your cake pan.

Care should be taken when using Alsa Gulaman as it sets very quickly at room temperature.

Pour this solution over the fruits at one go.The amount of cream to use between each layer of biscuits is variable, if you like more cream you can use more. Do not use too little cream though.

Variations:

1. You can do away with the fruits and jelly topping and sprinkle chocolate shavings instead.

2. You can also use chocolate/mocha ganache instead of fruits and jelly topping.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    What is a substitute for 'nestle all purpose cream'? They don't sell it here in Melbourne, Australia. Would buying any brand of thickened cream or whipping cream or pouring cream do? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can substitute it with thickened cream as it is not too watery as whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    What is a substitute for 'nestle all purpose cream'? They don't sell it here in Melbourne, Australia. Would buying any brand of thickened cream or whipping cream or pouring cream do? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin