Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Who stole the cookie?

Been feeling so lethagic and lazy. I wonder whether it is has to do with the exam fever. Can't they make it simpler? I really pity my child having to cope with all those tricky questions and I don't recall I having to learnt all these at that tender age.

In the past, when my elder was just a toddler, my husband and I said that we won't be like those paranoid and kiasu parents, we will take it easy.

Now few years down the road, our beliefs changed. Seeing your bright child falling behind his classmates set off RED alert. While going through school work exercises, you begin to realised that those questions are simply too mind boogling for you, the least we talk about for a 9 years old.

Are they trying to rip off these innocent minds and forcing them to grow up quickly? I wonder and wonder, what will become of young Singaporeans in the future?

Enough of my ranting.... My head is full of ideas but my body isn't so co-operative. Anyway, just need to destress and oiled those rusty joints of mine. I just need to get into momentum. A long list of cookies that tempted me so much to make it real in my kitchen. Chocolate chips cookies simply awesome with a glass of ice cold milk.

Please join me.

Photobucket

Source: Adapted from All recipes

What you need

250g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
170 g unsalted butter, melted
150g packed brown sugar
50g white sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
170g semisweet chocolate chips
170g pecan nuts

Method

Preheat the oven to 165 °C. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.

Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.

Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.

Scoop cookie dough using ice cream sccop. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.

Cool on baking sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Edith, perfect pair of choc chip cookie with cold milk. One set over here please :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, thanks for the sweet treat, it looks awesome!
    I feel sorry for our kids living in a highly competitive society! In our eyes they're always smart and intelligent, but their peers try so much harder (pushed by their parents maybe?)... oh can't think of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that's life.. Our society believes in having that piece of paper, getting good grades, going into that right school, stuff like that..

    It's kind of sad~ but true. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, beautiful photo. And yummylicious cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith! Thanks for putting up the recipe. I'm going to try this real soon. Actually, I have a better idea - howsabout I trade you a rabbit filet for a couple of your delish cookies? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's never easy to be parents of the world today. There are more and more expectations for children too. During my younger days, I remember my parents weren't paranoid over our school life. Because of the 1-year age gap between my sis and myself, my mum paid more attention to her. I was let free to do anything.. we both turn out fine today. I see a different scenario in chinese school students (my youngest sis is chinese-ed), I find that parents are so kiasu they are the ones copying the spelling test list of words for their children early morning! then again, time has changed many things..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith
    After the exam fever, it's the exam results fever eh? I guess we just do the best we can for our kids....then leave the rest up to Him and the kids.
    I just get my kid to compete against himself to do better than the last time if he can. It's no use comparing himself with the others cos' there will always be those who are better or worse than him.
    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks girls for the sweet comments. It warms my heart.

    Lynnx01, thanks for dropping by. Guess what, my hubby might be going to Miri soon. Any place to recommend for baking supplies? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's never easy to be parents of the world today. There are more and more expectations for children too. During my younger days, I remember my parents weren't paranoid over our school life. Because of the 1-year age gap between my sis and myself, my mum paid more attention to her. I was let free to do anything.. we both turn out fine today. I see a different scenario in chinese school students (my youngest sis is chinese-ed), I find that parents are so kiasu they are the ones copying the spelling test list of words for their children early morning! then again, time has changed many things..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, beautiful photo. And yummylicious cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin