Thursday, September 14, 2006

Rekindle my love affair

I haven't really been into baking lately. Somehow I have so many things to do that baking seems to be my last "to do" list.

As much as each night I browses through my favourite forums and recipe books, I just cannot find strong motivation force. I kept telling myself that I should not let failure eat me up. So here I am, trying my third round of bread making. Really high time for me to go to the bookshop and get a decent bread making book now.

I was pretty excited when my Chicken Curry Bun turned out so beautifully from the oven. Besides having them nearly sticking to each other, I think I didn't do such a bad job in shaping them.

Initially my son refused to have a bite at it, after much coaxing and ensuring him that these are different from the last, he gingerly took a tiny bite.

Minutes later, he came back asking for more. Good sign? Have yet to see how it stays till tomorrow.

A slight disappointment was that my curry chicken filling wasn't well done at all. I don't know whether I got the wrong type of curry powder or not. I feel that it doesn't have that YUM factor.

Photobucket

What you need for the fillings

2 tbsp oil
2 onions, diced
2 med sized potatoes, cubes
240g chicken, cubes
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt a little soya sauce
a dash of pepper

Method

Season meat with curry powder

Heat oil and lightly brown onions.

Add potatoes with a little water and fry till soft. I prefer it a little mushy.

Put in seasoned meat and stir fry till cooked

Add in seasoning and fry till dry.

Remove and cool.

What you need for the dough

A

240g bread flour
60g all purpose flour
50g caster sugar
10g milk powder
2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 tsp bread improver

B
1/2 egg
150ml cold water

C
30g unsalted butter
5g salt
Egg wash
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tsp evaporated milk

Method

Mix (A) till well blended.

Add (B) to form a dough.

Add in (C) and knead until dough is elastic and smooth (approx 10 - 15 mins) Gather dough to form a ball and cover dough with cling wrap.

Place in the warmest area and let it rest for abt 50-60 mins or double in size.

Divide dough into portions of 50 or 60 gm each.

Shape into balls and leave it to rest for abt 10 mins.

Roll out dough and wrap with desired fillings.

Shape as required and let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.

Egg wash dough.

Bake dough at 180-190C for abt 12 mins

***********************

I crave for a Chocolate Cheesecake Brownie and going through my huge stack of recipe clippings, I found this. I don't know where the source is from though. Nevertheless, these are really delicious.

Photobucket

What you need

185g butter, melted
¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
100g castor sugar
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted

Cheesecake

285g cream cheese
30g castor sugar
2 eggs

Method

Preheat the oven to 160°C

Mix butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs and flour in a bowl till smooth.

To make the cheesecake, whisk the cream cheese, sugar and eggs till smooth.

Scoop a large spoonful of the chocolate batter into disposable souffles cups.

Place large spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and another spoonful of the chocolate batter.

Bake for 20 - 25 mins or till set.

Cool on rack and remove paper cups.

***********************

Whipped up a simple dinner of Pan Fried Pork Loin aka Pork Chop.

This dish is really simple and my family love it.

Photobucket

Though I am not a fan of beancurd (tow kwa), the lady at the supermarket convinced me to get some home. I know my hubby loves these. What I had in mind was a Five Spice Pan Fried Tow Kwa.

I rememebered many years ago, I tasted something like this and it was really wonderful. I do not have the recipe but based on instinct, I just coated it with five spice powder and a little salt.

Anyone out there tried these before and care to share the recipe?

Photobucket

So much of pan fried, so Blanched Kailan with Oyster Sauce is a way to go. I love this method of preparing vegetables.

Blanched the vegetable and drizzle a little oyster sauce, a tiny bit of oil and a dash of fried shallots. Yum.

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Wow edith!u've been Busy in ur kitchen! All the dishes look so delicious! :) Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,

    Wow! What a gorgeous spread! Love the curry buns and brownie, thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your curry chicken buns, looks so soft! Your dinner is very yummy too! Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith,
    really, my mouth keeps watering! I haven't tasted any curry bun in Sg, but the one in Hk tends to be quite juicy/moist inside.
    Btw, any chance to show me (here or kc is fine) how to do your cheesecake brownie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith,
    oh thanks for taking care of my request so quick!
    I'll bake them right away after I get those straight-side cups! Wish me good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chicken buns (and everything else) look really DELICIOUS!!! I'm craving for some now...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin