Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Don't assume!

I wanted something simple and easy to prepare for dinner and since I got a bag of glutinous rice that I need to finish it off.

Perhaps Savoury Glutinous Rice should be the answer. It looks simple enough to prepare.

My son was in his good mood, since yesterday, he was helping me in the kitchen. I think he felt "grown up" using a SHARP knife to peel the skin of the shallots!!!

Anyway, the preparation took me a long time to prepare. Perhaps it was the time consuming process of getting the shallot ready.

I need to take so many intervals because I was crying so badly while slicing the shallots.

To top it off, my kids were fighting to help me. It created a chaos as each wanted to do the same chores.

After a much delayed dinner time, I needed another 40 mins to steam the rice. By then, my little princess was complaining that she was hungry.

Nevertheless, hey, my final product of Savoury Glutinous Rice!

Photobucket

After going through a war zone, a comment like this brought smile to my face. "Mommy, zhen hao chi"

What you need

600g glutinous rice
100g dried mushroom (soak with water)
100g dried shrimps (wash and drain)
250g pork belly/lean pork
50g chinese sausages (optional) (slice thinnly)
100g shallots (small onions)
350ml water
1 tsp salt or to taste

Seasoning

2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp light Soya sauce
2 tsp dark Soya sauce
1 tsp pepper
½ tbsp sesame oil

Method

Wash the glutinous rice and soak in water for about 1 hour. Drained.

Soak mushroom till soften and slice

Slice pork and shallots thinly

Use half of the seasonings to season the mushroom and the other half for the pork.

Fry the sliced shallots and set a side and do the same with the dried shrimps.

Fry the mushroom well then add the pork and fry for about 5 minutes

Add the glutinous rice and then the mushrooms and pork.

Put in half the amount of fried shallots, dried shrimps, pork and salt.

Fry for a few minutes.

When it is well mixed, add in the water and turned off the flame. Stir well.

Put into a big pan and steam for 40 minutes or until done.

You may sprinkle some water on it if you find the glutinous rice is still hard or uncooked.

Garnish with cilanto and fried shallots and serve hot.
Print Friendly and PDF

13 comments:

  1. Efforts paid off, what can u say except to smile at that little but of great means comment made by ur gal? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all that work and chaos is well paid for when someone appreciates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. waa this rice dish looks good lei! edith,do u mind sharing the recipe? ur little prince n princess are so adorable, nex time they shall be good cooks too when they grow up like their mother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son says,"Mummy, it's lekker!" But whatever the language, that's the magic phrase we all want to hear isn't it?

    Your dish looks really yummy. I love any dish that involves glutinous rice.

    Btws, here's my solution if you have to peel a large batch of shallots or onions. Wear swimming goggles. Don't laugh, it really works. Just be prepared for your family to give you strange looks though. I wear contacts so my eyes watering up is a no-go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith,

    This sure looks good, after all the hard work, especially the chinese sausage ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's always nice to have appreciative audience/diners - it does make all that effort worthwhile!

    LOLZ... agree with Ms Sewphesticated about the goggles - it's the bloody fumes emanating from the onions that causes our eyes to water.. of course, the other alternative is to hold your breath for the duration of the onion peeling exercise but that may be even more dangerous for your health :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all, it is definitely very encouraging to hear that from a 4 year old.

    Grace, I will post it once I get it organised. Stay tuned.

    Ms Sewphisticated and Eatzycath, thanks for the tips. I will definitely heed your advice for my next round of shallots frying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sure! thanks edith! Take ur time, no hurry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank U Edith for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's always nice to have appreciative audience/diners - it does make all that effort worthwhile!

    LOLZ... agree with Ms Sewphesticated about the goggles - it's the bloody fumes emanating from the onions that causes our eyes to water.. of course, the other alternative is to hold your breath for the duration of the onion peeling exercise but that may be even more dangerous for your health :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edith,

    This sure looks good, after all the hard work, especially the chinese sausage ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son says,"Mummy, it's lekker!" But whatever the language, that's the magic phrase we all want to hear isn't it?

    Your dish looks really yummy. I love any dish that involves glutinous rice.

    Btws, here's my solution if you have to peel a large batch of shallots or onions. Wear swimming goggles. Don't laugh, it really works. Just be prepared for your family to give you strange looks though. I wear contacts so my eyes watering up is a no-go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin