Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A lesson learnt

Though honeydew ain't my favourite fruit but I had this once in L's house it was so awesome.

Her version is totally different from those elsewhere. She was graceful enough to share her recipe with me.

Therefore I wanted to replicate one last evening since I got all my ingredients together, it should be easy as ABC.

Without reading the recipe thoroughly, I went about preparing the melon. Skinning, deseeding and cubing it.

Next soaking up those big round sago as I wanted it with more chew and blah blah.

After all the preparation of cubing it, I realised that I just need to puree the melon. Why didn't I read properly, time and effort wasted. Next blunder, after soaking my sago, the whole lot turned soft and mashy. I got to throw it away and used up the half packet.

I spent a long time getting the sago to cook and vow that I won't be using this big size type anymore.

Initially I thought I had a box of vanilla ice cream and to my horror, it is chocolate chip!!!!!! Oh dear, hubby was nice enough to pick up a box from 7-11.

So back into the fridge my bowl of half done honeydew sago to chill.

The bell rings, the ice cream was sent into the kitchen. Another horror, it is Neapolitan!!!! (a mixture of strawberry, vanilla and chocolate). Hubby said the store don't carry vanilla ice cream and it is the next closest he can find.

We ended up dissecting the ice cream, scooping out only the vanilla. F

inally we had our dessert at 10ish!!!!

After all the blunders, that bowl of honey sago tasted even better.

Photobucket

What you need:

200g Sago
100g sugar
4 cups Water
1 litre of vanilla ice-cream
1 cup of Nata De Coco (cubed it smaller)
700g Blended Honey Dew Honeydew balls (but I cubed it)

Method:

Boil sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Cool it.

Lightly wash sago before soaking for 10 min Pour sago into a pot of boiling water.

Cook till almost transparent. Turned off heat and close the cover and let it soak in the hot water until it's completely transparent.

Wash the sago under running water until it's not sticky.

Puree honey dew. Setting aside the honeydew balls.

Mix all the ingredients and served chilled
Print Friendly and PDF

21 comments:

  1. chocolate chips would be interesting in there too! I'm glad you finally enjoyed your dessert! I'm sure it was well worth the troubles

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx for sharing edith. this looks really refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it happens to all of us from time to time, i.e. not reading a recipe thru' and suffering the consequences thereafter.. but that's part and parcel of kitchen experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, u make me crave for sweet stuffs! hehe.. time for me to do this. =)Thank u for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith, adding ice-cream into honeydew sago? Sounds interesting, certainly looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a big drama going on in your kitchen. hehe~ But i'm glad it tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for the kind comments. Go try it, really nice.

    Diddy, what a fresh idea. Chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. edith, i tried your apple crumble recipe. really good. thx. i know u probably won't give me your two cents on my attempt but its ok. still thank u anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evan, glad that you like the apple crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that fondant on your cupcakes? Do you expect people to eat them? Its only nice to look at. What a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hope u dun mind.. i posted this recipe in my blog and i link to this url. thanks!.. i'm m_s in m4m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, So i just need to mix the 1 litre of ice cream in?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes vicious girl and thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    Was the melon you used green or orange?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ron, thanks for dropping by. It is green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    Was the melon you used green or orange?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, So i just need to mix the 1 litre of ice cream in?

    ReplyDelete
  18. i hope u dun mind.. i posted this recipe in my blog and i link to this url. thanks!.. i'm m_s in m4m.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Edith, adding ice-cream into honeydew sago? Sounds interesting, certainly looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thx for sharing edith. this looks really refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin