Thursday, July 27, 2006

Side track

A big pumpkin was sitting sadly in my kitchen for me to get some inspiration to turn it into something delicious.

Though after a weekend full of ideas, I didn't really have the mood to get into action. Way too much on my plate at the moment.

Finally hubby is coming home so I told myself that I got to snap out of it. I have already planned what I wanted to cook and how I can used up the pumpkin but it was way too much for my intended recipe.

So back to my cyberworld, I saw Ellena's and My Coffee attempting the same recipe. Definitely looks cute. Best of all, it will satisfy my sweet tooth as well as to used up those fillings that was leftover from my Tau Sar Piah. Bingo!

Instead of using the skin of the pumpkin as "stem", I replaced it with cloves. While steaming, it gives off a really nice aroma to the kitchen.

The only sad part is that mine doesn't really look like mini pumpkin :(

Photobucket

What you need

300g Pumpkin, cut into small pieces
250g Glutinous Rice Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
250g - 300g Red Bean Paste
20-25 pieces of small pumpkin skin

Methods:

Peel pumpkin , cut into pieces and steam until tender.

Mash it with a fork while it's still hot then add in sugar and stir till well combine.

Next mix in glutinous rice flour in 3 batches and knead into a smooth dough.(you might need some extra glutinous rice flour when kneading)

Flatten a piece of 30g dough to a round thin disc.

Put a ball of 20g Red Bean filling at the centre and wrap skin over the filling to seal it completely.

Roll into a round shape then slight flatten the top a bit and use the back of the knife to carve pattern that resemble the pumpkin.

Place a tiny pumpkin skin on top and arrange on a foil greased plate.

Steam over medium heat for 8-10 minutes and set aside.
Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. Do you mean 'stem' not 'steam'? Check your spelling please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Qwerty for pointing out my typo error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoOks Good!! :)

    Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. edith.. i also got a pumkin in my kitchen now.. what to do with it i also dunno

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith,
    oh they do look like pumpkins, and cute little ones!!! You're so clever to change to use clove!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup... edith.. they do look great.. esp the colour.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they look like mandarin oranges instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heyo Edith!
    These looks really good! Yumyum! =)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, your mini pumpkin looks very nice. I like your shot with the flowers and leaves in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter it looks like mandarin orange or mini pumpkin, it looks cute either way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is the cutest thing! I bet it tasted delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so proud and stuck-up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I just made two batches of these pumpkins. However, the dough for the first batch was too dry and its very difficult to form shape.I think the flour is too much.
    So my first batch was ugly.

    The second batch I reduced almost 60g of flour and add in 20g of corn flour (another recipe has corn flour added), the texture was easier to handle. I think its better to stop adding flour if you think its adequate.If not the dough will start to crack.

    Anyway, the pumpkins were really adorable and I should have tried it earlier. Thank you again.( You are a great photographer too!)

    Queen Butter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Queen Butter, Thanks for dropping by. I didn't have problem with mine. But I am glad yours was successful on second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Precious Moments,
    I made these too today but made a savoury filling. I made a few adjustments as I used butternut squash instead & my mum advised to use a mix of rice & glutinous rice flour to give the dumplings more body.
    I found the dough dry too. Oh, my pumpkins look worse than yours! Cracky and yellow!
    I linked you in my blog. Hope that's okay?
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad that you tried it out with a tweaked. Perhaps one day we can find a perfect recipe for this. :)

    My pleasure to have you linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    I just made two batches of these pumpkins. However, the dough for the first batch was too dry and its very difficult to form shape.I think the flour is too much.
    So my first batch was ugly.

    The second batch I reduced almost 60g of flour and add in 20g of corn flour (another recipe has corn flour added), the texture was easier to handle. I think its better to stop adding flour if you think its adequate.If not the dough will start to crack.

    Anyway, the pumpkins were really adorable and I should have tried it earlier. Thank you again.( You are a great photographer too!)

    Queen Butter

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Precious Moments,
    I made these too today but made a savoury filling. I made a few adjustments as I used butternut squash instead & my mum advised to use a mix of rice & glutinous rice flour to give the dumplings more body.
    I found the dough dry too. Oh, my pumpkins look worse than yours! Cracky and yellow!
    I linked you in my blog. Hope that's okay?
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Queen Butter, Thanks for dropping by. I didn't have problem with mine. But I am glad yours was successful on second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup... edith.. they do look great.. esp the colour.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. No matter it looks like mandarin orange or mini pumpkin, it looks cute either way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin