Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Nice and easy

Just before my holiday, I was down in Paragon. Took the opportunity to browse in the supermarket. I love browsing in supermarkets. I love looking at those nice packaging, I love looking at new arrivals.

There, I chanced upon those canned strawberries and wonder how it taste like. So often, fresh strawberries available here are not really sweet and juicy. Or they will be either bruised or over riped.

There is this Strawberry Tart recipe that I have been eyeing to try (inspired by Chan from Lick the Spoon). So merrily I went along preparing and then I realised that one can is not enough to fill the pie.

Drove to the supermarket and luckily they got some decent looking ones. Though a little green and with no choice since my half baked pie is waiting patiently at home, I took the chance.

Like what Chan said, it is absolutely delicious. And believe me, it is really easy as what she has quoted.

Photobucket

What you need
Tart Crust


188g plain flour
113g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
⅓ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt

Filings

8oz cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar strawberries, hulled

Method

Preheat oven to 180 ºC

Rub in butter to flour, sugar and salt till it become moist crumbs.

Transfer the dough to pie pan and pressed firmly.

Freeze crust until firm (around 10 mins).

Pricked crust and bake for about 25 – 30 mins till golden brown.

Cool.

In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar till smooth.

Spread mixture evenly in pie crust.

Arrange strawberries and brush heated jam.

Chill in pan for around 1 hour.

Remove from pan and serve.

-----------

Was at the wet market this morning. I saw lots of people buying tilapia. Decided to have Bean Paste Steamed Tilapia.

Actually this fish brought back fond memories of our fishing trip in the reservoirs. I love fishing, the excitment of the fish bite after a long wait is hard to describe.

Now, I am wondering when will be our next fishing trip. It sure has been ages since we last had ours.

Photobucket

Eversince, I got the thermal pot. I find cooking soup much easier now. I don't have to watch over it constantly (due to my inexperience).

So here is my Old Cucumber Soup with dried oyster soup.

Photobucket

What you need

Old Cucumber
10 Dried oysters, rinsed and remove sand particles if any
one small pcs of dried cuttlefish, rinsed
400g lean pork

Method

Remove seeds thoroughly from old cucumber. Cut into about 4 inches thick slices

Blanced pork in hot water. Remove.

In a fresh pot of boiling water.

Add in pork, old cucumber, cuttlefish, dried oysters.

Boil at med heat for 4 hours.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. So, was the strawberry tart sweet? I love the look of the tart, very tempting but I am apprehensive in making it cos it's usually sourish and I will probably be stuck with the whole tart if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily the strawberries that I bought are not sour and with the mixture of the canned ones. It is really very nice. Try it out. Won't disappoint you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was delicious alright...I can comfirm that because I didn't have a chance at 2nd slice. This morning son was asking for it again!! Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was delicious alright...I can comfirm that because I didn't have a chance at 2nd slice. This morning son was asking for it again!! Nick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin