Saturday, April 15, 2006

It is party time again

Oh how i love parties, especially so since I stopped work years ago. Perhaps I don't have much opportunity to have human contacts so I really enjoy such events.

Anyway, let's pray it will stop raining for tonight's BBQ potluck party. There will be a big turnout and I am looking forward to rekindle friendship, meeting new ones and a chance to savour good food. I love such nice feelings.

Anyway, here is my contribution for the night, Almond Jelly with Longan. Next time, I will tweak the recipe to suit our preference as I find it a little too sweet. Also I prefer a more milky taste. Nevertheless, I am very happy that I succeeded because, in the past, I done such a bad job. Thanks Marg.

Photobucket

What you need

13g Agar Agar Powder (flower brand)
200 gm sugar
1000 ml water
200 ml evaporated milk (carnation brand)
1/4 tsp almond essence

Method

Mixed sugar with agar agar powder until will mixed

Add water to the mixture. Bring to boil under high fire.

Stir until dissolve, then put it aside to cool down.

Once it slightly cool, add in evaporated milk, almond essence.

Then sieve it, put them into prepared tray to cool.

Once set, chill it in the fridge.

Serve it with longans.

Decided to add another item too as I have been wanting to try out the Mini Mud cake . Min was suggesting to reduce the sweetness from the original recipe. Afraid that it might be too sweet, I reduce the sugar level but I think I reduced it a little too much! Next round I will have a better gaudge on this one. Thanks Min for sharing too. It is yummy.

Photobucket

What you need:

1½ cups brewed strong coffee (1½ cup hot water with 4 tsp coffee)
250 g butter
150g brown sugar
250 g Dark Cooking Chocolate, chopped
2 eggs
225g plain flour
38g self-raising flour
Powder sugar and cocoa powder to decorate

Method

Preheat the oven to 150°C.

Place the coffee, butter, brown sugar and chocolate in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves and the chocolate melts. Pour into a mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.

Add the eggs and beat well.

Sift the dry ingredients and add. Mix well.

Pour the batter into a greased and lined 8 inch square pan.

Bake at 150°C for 1 hours or less until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out cleanly.

Allow to cool in the pan. Cut into pieces and dust with powder sugar and cocoa.
Print Friendly and PDF

28 comments:

  1. Hey! I love reading your blog, but lately you havent been sharing your recipes with us!! Such a shame! Cos they all look so lovely...like the mini mud cake, almond longan jelly etc...I would kill for the recipe!!! Keep up the gd work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, ur mud cake & Almond Jelly with Longan was fantastic, i spent the whole nite eating almond jelly with longan...

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith, I love the mini mud cakes, very pretty. You are always so good.

    jc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was too full to try the mini mud cake!! *cry* But I had 2 servings of the almond jelly though. It was delicious neh~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helloz....woa..your food looks good. I love the mini mudcakes...is it possible for you to post the recipe?? Thanksz..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, I am glad that the mud cakes turned out well & you like it. I told you it's a recipe that's so easy and always turned out successful! :D

    Min

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful site, love all the yummy stuff featured here. Well done! I am going to attempt making some of the desserts featured here. My only headache is that I may have to convert metric to Imperial measurements, in the US, here still in the stone aged period haha...perhaps, it would be great if you could also put metric/imperial so as to benefit us in the US! Thanks! Keep up the good well and I look forward to seeing more creations from you! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for the kind comments.

    Cheena Bukit, I have alot of recipes that are imperial measurement and I have to convert it to metric. If you want, I have a table with the conversion. It is like a baking bible for me. I can email you if you want.

    Amrita, I haven't been updating on the recipes coz I am so overwhelmed by some happenings at home. Certain recipes, I have forgotten where I have extracted it from so pardon my "no show". I will try to be more diligent from now on. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mud cakes - sinful and yummylicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How to make the heart shaped pattern? ALso how much sugar would you recommend since you said yours is not very sweet? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angelic Gal, fold a piece of paper into half and cut "half" of the heart. Unfold and you get a full heart shaped. The recipe posted already been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super delicious. Bet u ladies had a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    I don't see any diff in the amount of sugar. Is 150g brown sugar is too sweet or less sweet?

    Also I don't get quite the part on the heart shape. Do you hold the hear shape paer over the cake and hen sift the cocoa over the heart to achieve the shape?
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angelic gal, if it is easier for you, just trace any shape to your reference, and create a template of your choice. As for the sweetness, the recipe already been tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Er What size tin you use Can I use a square 8 inch cake tin.

    Where to get the brownie pan or swill roll pan. Are they one and the same ?

    Txs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how a brownie pan looks like, but I guess it depends on the height of your cake you want. Based on your tin size, this shld be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi, i have trouble making almond jelly.
    the end result of the almond jelly looks a little yellow.
    it doesn't look white.
    do you know where did i go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tan,

    Thanks for dropping by.

    Mine is not pure white too but at least it isn't yellowish. Do you think it has to do with the milk? Check for expiry. I realised that if the can has been canned for too long, the colour tends to oxidise.

    Other than this reason, I couldn't really help you. Sorry.:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi precious moments,

    thanks for replying me.
    The end result was good, the layer looks a little yellowish. yeah you are right, its the milk that caused it to look slightly yellowish. Nevertheless, it taste nice, my gf like it a lot.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe !

    Cheers! Take care and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Precious Moments,

    I was searching for Almond Longan Dessert and chanced upon your blog.

    I was thinking if you have the revised recipe of yours which has a more milky taste and less sugar contents? I would like to try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Cheryl for dropping by.

    You can adjust the proportion of milk and water. As for sugar, I feel 200g is just nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi precious moments,

    thanks for replying me.
    The end result was good, the layer looks a little yellowish. yeah you are right, its the milk that caused it to look slightly yellowish. Nevertheless, it taste nice, my gf like it a lot.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe !

    Cheers! Take care and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know how a brownie pan looks like, but I guess it depends on the height of your cake you want. Based on your tin size, this shld be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Angelic Gal, fold a piece of paper into half and cut "half" of the heart. Unfold and you get a full heart shaped. The recipe posted already been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi, i have trouble making almond jelly.
    the end result of the almond jelly looks a little yellow.
    it doesn't look white.
    do you know where did i go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Precious Moments,

    I was searching for Almond Longan Dessert and chanced upon your blog.

    I was thinking if you have the revised recipe of yours which has a more milky taste and less sugar contents? I would like to try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Cheryl for dropping by.

    You can adjust the proportion of milk and water. As for sugar, I feel 200g is just nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin