Wednesday, March 29, 2006

this is good

I haven't been really active in the kitchen as I am feeling really lost, down, tired, sad, pain and now what else. I was into one of the depressing mode lately. Can't seems to find any joy in life. Even the short trip didn't cheer me up.

You can't bake and cook if your mind and soul is elsewhere. You can't bake and cook when you are feeling down. So I didn't really achieve anything even though I got a long list of "must try".

So yesterday, I was trying to snap out of this depressing mood. I forced myself to focus and decided to do something nice for my family. Supposed to have it together with rice but was again caught up with emotion that I didn't prepare the rice!!!

Nevertheless, I managed to prepare this lovely Sweet and Sour soup that was shared by Lily.

Really nice. Thanks Lily.

Photobucket

What you need

1 cake silkin tofu - cut into small strips
1/2 cup bamboo shoots julienned
2 tsp julienned black fungus (Wood Ear) - soak 3 - 4
Chinese dry mushrooms - soak, remove stems and cut into strips
2 tsp of julienced Char Choy
2 ounces pork tenderloin, julienned

Marinade:

1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp tapioca starch
1/2 tsp sesame oil
6 cups water (or 5 cups water and 1 cup chicken broth)

(I)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp soya sauce
2 Tbsp red rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp of chilli oil
1 egg - beaten lightly

Garnishes:

2 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
pepper to taste

Thickening mixture:

1 Tbsp cornflour (it is more stable than tapioca flour)
1/4 cup water

Method:

Boil broth/water. When it is boiling add the char choy, mushrooms and wood ear. Simmer until char choy releases its flavor.

Add the tofu and when the broth comes back to the boili add the marinated pork.

Add the remaining ingredients in (I).

Beat the egg well. Set aside.

Test the broth and adjust the taste if desired. (If using chicken broth, you may want to add a bit more rice vinegar). Mix the cornflour and water.

Slowly pour the cornflour mixture into the soup, stirring while it is being added. Test the broth and adjust the taste if desired. (If using chicken broth, you may want to add a bit more rice vinegar).

Let the broth come back to a boil. As soon as it is boiling, remove the broth from the stove.

Slowly drop in the beaten egg, stirring in one direction at the same time.

Add garnishes and serve hot.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. oh u poor girl....get out of ur depression ok....its not good for you and u know it....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin