Saturday, February 25, 2006

Staple food

To some, bread is a staple food. To other, it is just an alternative to rice and potatoes. My son took after me, adores bread. We can have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have tried my hand at baking bread twice but somehow it tasted so good when it is right out of the oven but upon the second day, the bread seems "deflated". Unfortunately to get a good loaf of multigrain bread, we have to go to a specialty store so I was tempted to get a breadmachine but my dear hubby is dead against it. So to stop the temptation and to have the spirit of never say die, I tried again. Don has shared with me the proper method of kneading the dough and me being paranoid, I let the dough proof for a much longer time. Here is my white bread. It is soft even the next day but I added mozzarella and cheddar cheese to it thus resulted in a dense midsection. After this experiment, I think I felt more confident in dealing with bread dough. Next time, I will try out just the plain old white bread. Thanks Giselle for such a wonderful recipe. Photobucket What you need 2.5 tsp dry yeast 375g bread flour 105g sugar 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (room temperature) 2 tbsp butter, melted 1/2 cup fresh milk (room temperature) egg wash: 1 egg, lightly beaten warmed jam (for glazing) Method Dissolve dry yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water, wait for about 5 - 10 mins till it is frothy. Mix the yeast liquid with the rest of the ingredients, knead until smooth and elastic. Approx 15 mins if you used a mixer. Let the dough sit in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. 1st proving for about 45 mins. Punch the dough to release some air, knead a few mins, put dough back into bowl and cover. 2nd proving, about 1 hour or double in volumn. Divide the dough into small balls, roll smooth, cover and let them relax for about 20 mins. Flatten and roll each ball into a rectangle (0.5cm thick). Start from the long side and roll it up as in swissroll. Place the rolls in a greased tray that your roll can sits snuggly in, leaving about 0.5cm gap between each roll. Cover, and rest the dough for 45 mins or until almost double the size. Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius, brush the egg wash on top, bake for 20 - 25 mins. Brush jam when it comes right out of the oven.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. This looks real good! I still think kneading dough by hand is fun and you actually get a sense of achievement after that, great job buddy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin