Tuesday, January 17, 2006

2nd Lunar New Year

This will be my second journal input on what I baked for Lunar New Year. How time flies, seems like not too long ago I just started blogging.

I am not going to replicate last years' cookies even though some of them are my favourites. Instead I will try something new this year. Hopefully my mom will not complain that she got to finished up those goodies for another month or so as there is always so much leftover. After baking, I realised that there is still another 2 weeks to Lunar New Year!!! Why am I rushing? sigh! talking about getting my days and nights confused.

Anyway, here is my first lot of goodies, Cornflakes Cookies. (recipes shared by one of the forum member but I have modified the recipe alittle).

Verdict: Crunchy but I think I will reduce the sugar further.

Photobucket

What you need

225g butter (room temperature)
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
100g castor sugar
1 medium pack unsweetened cornflakes (crushed)
a pinch of salt

Method:

Cream the butter with the sugar till creamy and pale white

Add the beaten egg and mix well

Sieve flour and baking powder.

Then add the salt and fold into the batter.

Mix well into a soft pastry dough.

Make small balls of dough with a two spoons.

Roll and coat evenly with cornflakes.

Bake on ungreased trays at 180 degree in a preheated oven till brown.

PART II

Since I have already laid out my baking equipments, might as well, bake a batch of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies that I have been craving for.

I got this recipe from She Bakes and she cooks.

Verdict: Definitely a keeper (but I have reduced the amount of sugar).

Photobucket

What you need

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
150g + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup toasted wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
225g unsalted butter, softened
100g castor sugar
150g light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cup raisins

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.

Cream butter and sugars until pale and fluffy.

Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low.

Add oat mixture, mix until just combined. Mix in raisins.

Drop about a 1 tbsp dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes.

Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
Print Friendly and PDF

15 comments:

  1. Wah, your cornflake cookies looks awesome! I am sure it will last till CNY! I know lots of ppl who have started baking for CNY so that they don't have to rush at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,
    Your cornflakes cookies look good! Thanks for sharing. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your cornflake cookies, they look really good! It's one of my CNY favourite. Thanks for sharing.

    Can I know how many did you make from this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi.. how long can u keep all these cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, how long can these cookies be kept?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the oatmeal ones, only three days. For the cornflakes, you can keep up to more than 2 weeks (I usually put a dehumuidifier sachet in my cookie box).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona, about 90 as I only half the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cornflake cookies look delicious, I was also planning to make them but will be creating own version, see how they turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, your cornflake cookies look like those sold outside. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all your kind words. This will definitely keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Edith for the reply! I will try your recipe soon... They look really good.

    Happy CNY & Gong Xi Fa Cai to you & you family in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please advise whether these cookies r the crunchy or chewy type? Thks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi The Incidental Chef, I don't know which one you are referring to. For the cornflakes it is crunchy. For the oatmeal it is chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi The Incidental Chef, I don't know which one you are referring to. For the cornflakes it is crunchy. For the oatmeal it is chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi, how long can these cookies be kept?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin