Friday, December 02, 2005

Busy morning

I am definitely not a big fan of fruit cake but this recipe was shared by a very dear friend of mine more than ten years ago.

Since then, I have been baking this cake annually for Christmas except for last year as I was busy painting the house.

As it takes quite a few weeks for the rum to really immerse into the cake, I always do it on the 1st week of December so that this cake will be moist and nice by Christmas Eve.


What you need

Soak overnight in 50ml of rum:

200g raisins
200g currants
150g mixed peel
50g glaced cherries

Melt:

250g butter
250g sugar
4 eggs

Mixed in 4 eggs, one at a time when butter is slightly cool.

Sift together

350g sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

1/4 tsp each of ground cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, clove, nutmeg and ginger

50g nuts
grated skin of one lemon
grated skin of one orange

Method

Add flour to butter mixture, a little at a time.

Mix well. Add fruit mixture to the batter.

Add in your favourite nuts and grated skin of lemon and orange.

Bake for 1.5 hours at 150°C.

Part II

I will be attending a potluck gathering organised by Salha. So here is my contribution of a Crumble Bar which Chin Mee shared this recipe.

Photobucket

Perhaps I overbake this cake as the texture turns out dry. I will attempt this again to see where I have gone wrong.

What you need Crumble Topping:

75g Butter
75g Caster Sugar
125g Plain White Flour

Cake:

120g Butter
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self-raising White Flour
finely grated rind of 1 Lemon
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence

Method

Grease and base-lined a 1½ inch deep baking tin, measuring 26x16cm.

To make the crumble topping, put the butter and sugar in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Add the plain flour and blend for 8-10 seconds to a very rough crumb mixture; remove and set aside.

Cream sugar and butter till pale and fluffy.

Then add egg one at a time.

Followed by flour, lemon and vanilla essence.

Pour into the prepared tin.

Sprinkle the crumble topping over the surface of the mixture to cover and press down lightly.

Bake at 180°C, covering loosely with foil IF NECESSARY.

Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. helo
    how can i get furit cake recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry ..... not a fruit cake fan. I dont really like cakes actually. Dont ask me why, just dont really like them

    ReplyDelete
  3. To those who email me asking for the fruit cake recipe. I will be seeking permission from my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I was about to ask for the fruit cake recipe as it's one of my favorites. Got to have it during Christmas holidays. Will wait patiently for your reply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the Crumble bar with an 7 inch square pan so I 2/3 your portions. I use 2 eggs. Smelt a bit eggy as I use a dash of vanilla.

    Then i bake at 17o deg C for 30 mins. cake rather dry. Probaby needs 2tbsp lukewarm water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ukgal for your feedback. I didn't experience the eggy part but it was dry. Maybe adding milk or like what you said water helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Precious Moments,
    If to make this fruit cake a few wks inadv, how u preserve it from turning bad? thks

    cheezyheart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chezzyheart, actually the high fat and liquor keeps it well. I usually stored them into a big airtight container and drizzle the alcohol every alt days till Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Precious Moments,
    If to make this fruit cake a few wks inadv, how u preserve it from turning bad? thks

    cheezyheart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chezzyheart, actually the high fat and liquor keeps it well. I usually stored them into a big airtight container and drizzle the alcohol every alt days till Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. helo
    how can i get furit cake recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin