Monday, October 17, 2005

Meme - food memories

carrying on the baton from Lily's Wai Sek Hong.... From my recollection on my childhood, so here it goes.... When I was young, the only time we get to eat chicken was on our birthday. A steam white chicken tigh 白切鸡 as a special treats. You feel really special on that day coz' at a table rounded by parents, grandma and aunties and uncles, you will be the only one eating that chicken tigh. There will be hard boiled eggs painted red and each family members get to have one too. Guess it was not so much about the food but the memory of ONLY YOU eating it that was special. To support the family, my paternal grandma makes a living by selling fried bee hoon, yam cakes, radish cake and peanut porridge. Among the many things that she can cook well, the strongest memory will be her kok chai 角仔 which she made every Lunar New Year. I can't really describe that mouthwatering sensation. Todate, I haven't found any that matches close to hers. Unfortunately, she died before I really appreciate spending time in the kitchen. My maternal grandma is also another great cook. My fondest memory will be her salt baked chicken 盐烤鸡. As I was only 13 when she pass on. We never really had a chance to discuss about food. There used to be this vendor that sells ice balls 雪球 at S$0.10 a piece. With one, I got to share with my sister and brother. Maybe that is how we are being taught to share. (description already mentioned by Foodcrazee) Each time when I visit my maternal grandma, we will look foward to this vendor who has such great voice of calling out Fried sweet potato balls 番薯旦 . During those days, those cripsy golden brown balls are definitely a treats to us kids. There are definitely more goodies that I eaten when I was young but need to keep this short. Sorry guys/gals, I am just rolling over like the rest. Over to you. My lazy Lifestyle My Memories Lynn's Kitchen Cafe of the East From Zu's kitchen
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Ice ball again. Hmmm.... now i remember the chicken we use to have. It was a treat those days. Thanx for the great meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up edith. :)

    Min

    ReplyDelete
  3. edith

    thanks and your chicken meal reminded me of my maternal grandma, ah poh(now that i am ah poh myself), will buy a 'siew ngap pae' for every grandchild of hers on their birthday. the good old days, chicken only appeared on our table after praying on festivals. the lucky boys get the thighs and there is no chance for us girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow at least you get siew ngap pae, ours is only steamed ones. hopefully "boys are more impt" era will be over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey. i chanced upon your blog when i was looking for milo ice cream's recipe. hehe. it turned out pretty okay! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are most welcome, c_aijia. Glad you like it. Don't know whether you can keen on Banana Nutco Ice cream. http://preciousmoments2.blogspot.com/2005/10/another-attempt.html

    My family loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how to cook chickenNovember 5, 2005 at 9:55 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey. i chanced upon your blog when i was looking for milo ice cream's recipe. hehe. it turned out pretty okay! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. edith

    thanks and your chicken meal reminded me of my maternal grandma, ah poh(now that i am ah poh myself), will buy a 'siew ngap pae' for every grandchild of hers on their birthday. the good old days, chicken only appeared on our table after praying on festivals. the lucky boys get the thighs and there is no chance for us girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin